Skip to main content
Topic: Magna makes a Concept car (Read 2062 times) previous topic - next topic

Magna makes a Concept car

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/03/02/geneva-preview-magna-debuts-new-ev-concept/

Auto supplier Magna Steyr has chosen the Geneva Motor Show to unveil its new mila ev concept vehicle. You may recall that Magna is currently working with Ford on a production version of the Focus-based electric car that the Blue Oval is expected to launch as a production model in 2011. Like the proof-of-concept EV from Magna that we got the chance to drive at the Detroit Auto Show, the mila ev uses a lithium ion battery pack that's capable of providing a range of around 100 miles (150 kilometers) after a charge of about 2.5 hours.

Though it's clearly possible to convert a gas-guzzler to an electric machine, the mila ev highlights the advantages of designing a purpose-built electric vehicle with a spacious five-door hatchback bodystyle and the ability to accommodate a natural gas, hydrogen fuel cell or hybrid powertrain in addition to the fully electric version currently being shown. Integrated rooftop solar panels provide an extra jolt of power and could possibly allow for a climate control system that doesn't drain the batteries.

Magna says that the mila ev concept is ready for production and that it can assemble the modular vehicle for any manufacturer at its own flexible manufacturing plants.

Press release at link.

Magna Motor Company FTMFW!!! (yeah, I said the same thing there too :hick: )

Reply #1
Looks like a booger on wheels

Reply #2
Yeah, it's a bit of a turd, but the importance is that Magna has stepped up to designing cars and components, rather than just supply them. This is the first real step I've seen by Magna (they own Magna Steyr) toward building their own car. A Canadian car.

Reply #3
looks like a Honda Fit mixed with a Toyota Yaris
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #4
Quote from: 20thanniver-ls;259288
looks like a Honda Fit mixed with a Toyota Yaris

I couldn't have put it any better. Still looks like a booger on wheels though.