Skip to main content
Topic: Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11) (Read 133552 times) previous topic - next topic

Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11)

Reply #15
carb is sounding pretty good!!!!!!!! LOL I have that cam
Thunder306 was talking about getting in the low 12's speaking from someone that has a low 12' high 11 car it is a long hard expensive road.It sounds like you are going the right way about it by asking a lot of questions
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
UPR upper/lower control arms
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
(coming soon Tremec 3550)
The Finished Product
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/03grinnie/T-bird/

Reply #16
Yea I'm definitely not shooting directly for 12s.  Just mid/low 13s would be perfect as a short term (1-1.5 year) goal.

Reply #17
Gonna need a high stall converter for that cam if you stay auto.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #18
Well a better question would be:  Is that cam even right for my combo?  There is a more mild one for $159.  Like I said, I'm a bit too new at this to really know how to set up H/C/I combos.

Reply #19
That's the TFS stage 2 cam.  I run a stage 1 with Out of the box Twisted Wedge heads and run a 2800 stall converter.....BTW I run 1.6 rockers....

That cam with 1.7 rockers..... I'd be wanting those X heads ported....You  still running flat tops?
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #20
No this is going to be a different engine so I can build it while still driving the Tbird.  I'm currently talkin to a guy who is selling a complete 5.0HO from an 88GT for $375, which would be a perfect starting point, and I'd have plenty of parts to sell off.

So the stage 1 cam with 1.6 ratio rockers would fit my needs fine with some nice aluminum heads?  Twisted Wedge seems a bit out of my price range though.

Reply #21
For a set they are around $1200 assembled....

Reply #22
Hmmm ok I'll go look into them then :)

Reply #23
Quote from: kingcars;202768
No this is going to be a different engine so I can build it while still driving the Tbird.  I'm currently talkin to a guy who is selling a complete 5.0HO from an 88GT for $375, which would be a perfect starting point, and I'd have plenty of parts to sell off.

So the stage 1 cam with 1.6 ratio rockers would fit my needs fine with some nice aluminum heads?  Twisted Wedge seems a bit out of my price range though.

Too bad your not closer to me,  my shortblock would be a better starting point: its already rebuilt only 9k on it, and I could make a nice deal for you for the trickflow cam and 1.6 roller rockers, and 65mm tb, and headers + hpipe.. and you wouldn't have 2 sets of HO parts laying around. Don't forget you get the HO motor thats in your car now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #24
Yeah I plan to sell off the parts I dont need from this engine (The HO currently in my car is going to be used in a later project).  As for the cam, headers, TB, and rockers (theyre roller, right?) what kinda deal are you talkin about?

EDIT:  Someone on another forum mentioned that I'd have to do a mass air conversion.  Is this true?  Or will it be able to work fine with speed density?

Reply #25
Quote from: kingcars;202904
Yeah I plan to sell off the parts I dont need from this engine (The HO currently in my car is going to be used in a later project).  As for the cam, headers, TB, and rockers (theyre roller, right?) what kinda deal are you talkin about?

look in the classified section all my parts are there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #26
Alrighty, I will.  Does anyone know if I'll have to go mass air or not?

Reply #27
Got another question:  which model of Twisted Wedge heads would work well with my combination?  I'm currently looking at these:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TFS%2D51400002&N=700+400098+301941+115&autoview=sku

Reply #28
I have these.....http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS-51400004  They are what comes in the H/C/I kit now.....

The spring setup is different.  You CAN run a larger cam should you wish to do so.  You'd need these for the stage 2 or stage 3 cam.  The other set will work for the stage 1.

Reply #29
best advise i can give you. is think everything through, develop a plan, and stick to it. the 347 build up im doing started out as a simple high output conversion beliave it or not. the reason being, i didnt stick to my original plan.

i didnt want to run my original e6 heads because if i was gonna do this, i didnt wanna have pier heads then a stock stang. so i bought procomp 190cc (cheaper versions of edelbrocks) well the PTV clearance was too close and i got worried and decided i need to rebuild the shortblock with reliefed pistons. then i figured if im gonna rebuild it, i might as well stroke it... then if i'm gonna have a 347 i should have a custom cam so it'll be JUST how i want it...and now im finding out that the heads i bought (the ones that started this snowball) arent the best heads to sopport a 347. :hick: and not only that but all the other HO stuff, cam, computer, injestors, etc. are pretty much useless as well.

you're a young kid like myself, i know how its easy to get the mindset of "if i do this, i can squeeze a couple more ponies and itll be badass". but after spending so much time and SO MUCH money i still kinda wish a just ran those  e6's.

another word of advise to go along with plan everything well idea. if the price seems too good to be true it probably is. cus spending a couple more dollars the first time around can save you thousands in the end. if i wouldve bought trick flow heads right off the bat, i wouldve have to worry about maybe buying ANOTHER set now.

i apoligize if this seems rant-ish, but i'm really trying to save you time and money in the long run. planing, researching, qaudruple checking, and taking the little extra time and money to do it right once, can save you soo much at the end

Keith
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone