Skip to main content
Topic: option delete (Read 1537 times) previous topic - next topic

option delete

well, maybe... i found a pretty stripped down 86 today looking for a dash. i think this was a cougar, v6 no power options, no power windows, little power lock eliminator covers on it. perfect dash lol, i may go back and grab it.

option delete

Reply #1
annnnnnnnnnnnd what's your question?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

option delete

Reply #2
looks like it was more of an F.Y.I.

that's cool man, my original 84 was pretty much optionless so i always appreciated the bare-bones Cougars.

option delete

Reply #3
some guy around here a long time ago used to make a big deal about his radio delete plate on his 86? cougar, maybe you found his old car:hick:
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

option delete

Reply #4
I have never seen a radio delete for a Fox Thunderbird/Cougar.
I've seen them in Mustangs, though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

option delete

Reply #5
Quote from: cougarcragar;176953
I have never seen a radio delete for a Fox Thunderbird/Cougar.
I've seen them in Mustangs, though.

Me niether, it probably looks pretty strange without one and I would bet that it is pretty rare to have a car ordered that way.
My first impression would be why, but after looking it up I was surprised at the amount of credit that was given.

Option code 58Y - Electronic AM/FM stereo delete - $207.00 credit at sticker price.

That was a significant amount of credit to "get back" in 1986 that you could put towards the cost of a good aftermarket system if you were planning on doing that anyway.
You couldn't take advantage of it though if you were ordering an LS or XR-7, it was only available on the GS model.

Brent
:cougarsmily:
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

option delete

Reply #6
While we are on the subject, is there such a thing as an AC/heater delete?

option delete

Reply #7
Brent, I have also never seen a car like that. The radio delete option would have consisted of a radio block-off plate and, likely, an antenna block-off plate. I have a NOS antenna kit for our cars, and the instructions refer to removing the block-off plate for the antenna base before installation of the kit. So these radio-delete cars had to have existed. But also remember that in the mid-1980's, these were not your standard commuter cars...they were mid-to-upper level luxury coupes, so they commanded a higher price. If a person could even afford to get a Cougar or T-Bird, they could theoretically afford the radio. I'm sure the radio-delete option was used more than we think, yet the cars I've observed in 20+ years contradict that idea. So my thoughts have always been that at least 90% of the cars (if not more) from 1983-88 had radios and antennas. The surviving cars with block-off plates would likely be stripped-down models...and very, very uncommon.

option delete

Reply #8
Quote from: 84 Fila;177040

There was no A/C delete option.
A/C remained an option on all trim levels through 1986 and there was no option to delete it after 1987 when it became standard on all trim levels.
No heater delete either.
I believe that by the 1980’s the DOT would have required cars to have a defrosting system in place so there would be no heater option delete available.

Brent
:cougarsmily:
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

option delete

Reply #9
Quote from: 84 Fila;177040
No, but a 84 Fila delete option would be nice sometimes.

option delete

Reply #10
Quote from: JeremyB;177048
No, but a 84 Fila delete option would be nice sometimes.
:flip: