Skip to main content
Topic: Switching Gauges (Read 851 times) previous topic - next topic

Switching Gauges

This is that I have.  Please pardon the very old pics of the car.

Is it worth switching the cluster to something else. All I have is speedo/gas guage to look at. A tach would be nice. I was thinking T/c cluster or Sport, depends on what I find. Any imput would be nice. It will be down the road but I'm trying to plan this spring out.

Switching Gauges

Reply #1
wow,, just the thought gives me a headache.  i would'nt suggest it without being comfortable navigating schematics and criss cross referencing wiring from your model to a newer such as an 86 and up. 
We can help with the 86 adn up stuff but i think all the lil goodies you have wired up in that cener console may come into play on a different cluster.

Switching Gauges

Reply #2
Quote from: jcassity;119365

We can help with the 86 and up stuff but i think all the lil goodies you have wired up in that cener console may come into play on a different cluster.

What do you mean? I can read wiring diagrams and switch between them. The problem is parts and motovtion. My question over all is will it be worth it. Even is I go 84-84 T/c / XR-7 is better then what I have

Switching Gauges

Reply #3
big question here is will a tc cluster fit in our older dashes? ive thought of this myself and still unsure if it even fit. but if you do use it mike you will have to wire in the vss as we know our speedo is cable driven and the 86+ is electronic. and you would have to cange out the fuel sender so that will read right then you would have to change the oil sender so that reads right. but yes all the lights you have in the center would most def come into play and thats a whiring nightmare i don't whanna touch or steve would touch for that matter lol
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Switching Gauges

Reply #4
i like the "T" shaped dash setup like in your car so i would do some dismantle work and get a cluster on standby.  Do a little stare and compare and see if it will fit. You'll be fab'ing up an opening to receive the cluster in short.

What i meant was this........
judging from your engine,, your not too far off from an 85 setup ,,which included a couple more changes to the engine components.  You would end up with the version CFI you see most of us have,,,,,,,(well i dont anymore),,,,,,,,,,,,,,BTW<<<<<<<< are you sure that car is an 84?  that whole top end setup you have screams 83.

so moving on i would have suggested getting the 85harness and eec then pop in the whole dash system.  sounds easy enough,,lol.

but, why ruin a Fila for the sake of it being a fila it is a rare breed of an already too rare breed.  Perhaps you can get another car instead with all the options.

I also felt the dash you have was pretty boring when i owned my 84's.  My 84's cfi didnt have that vac controled idle control assembly,, why does yours.  you also have the choke assembly on the pass side of that cfi,,definatly 83,,or its not the original motor.

Switching Gauges

Reply #5
The motor is out of an 83-84 LTD. When I got the car the motor was blown from the next to last previous owner. I had Steve ( a freind) find a "matching" CFI motor to go in it. I'm unsure as I don't have the details. I just put it in and wired it up. As for the guages, I do wana keep it Fila. But untill I do get another, I wana plan stuffs out. After all it is just a Thunderbird. I should make it MY bird. This is more research for now.