Skip to main content
Topic: Why do only 2 of my 6 speakers work? (Read 2076 times) previous topic - next topic

Why do only 2 of my 6 speakers work?

i just got an 88 thunderbird and only the 2 speakers in my dash work. everytime i try to mess with the balance or fade my other 4 speakers just crack and fade in and out. i dont suspect that the 2 in the doors and the 2 in the rear are blown because theyve got a little more power handling capabitities than those in the dash and the ones in the dash work fine. could it be that the wiring is screwed up somehow? im looking at getting a new stereo system but im a little reluctant to buy it when i dont know exactly why my speakers arent working right. any ideas?

Re: Why do only 2 of my 6 speakers work?

Reply #1
Check the harness. My entire left side cuts out whenever it feels like it. I gotta beat the console into submission to get it to work again. I've been meaning to go back there and fix the wires.

Reply #2
it sounds like the voice coils are getting bad,thats what mine did i had holes in them when i took the speaker covers off.

Reply #3
if the speakers crackle, thats a sign of an issue in the head unit

somehting you can try, with the radio off, take the dials, and turn them back and forth rather fast for a little while and try it out, that helped with my volume dial
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #4
My Premium sound was doing the same....

When you move the  on the equalizer, it crack, spkr going On/OFF etc?
Probably your  need some cleaning of maybe the Potentiometer is broken inside....
In my case, i shot of Contact cleaner inside it fixed the prob...

Reply #5
Quote from: t0x1k
Check the harness. My entire left side cuts out whenever it feels like it. I gotta beat the console into submission to get it to work again. I've been meaning to go back there and fix the wires.

I had to punch the back seat to get the back ones to work. Finally got fed up and ran new wires.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost