Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe (Read 15194 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #75
Most take a little off the top of the steel a/c bracket.I'll be installing my new engine with no a/c (delete kit),then I'll install everything for the a/c after I locate the Stang brackets.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #76
Quote from: vinnietbird;298639
Most take a little off the top of the steel a/c bracket.I'll be installing my new engine with no a/c (delete kit),then I'll install everything for the a/c after I locate the Stang brackets.

Are you running a k-frame?
William

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #77
Factory K-frame.I would go with a tubular K-Frame,but it's not necessary for daily driving and an occasional run with another car.If I had a free one,sure,but I'm not buying one.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #78
Great pics.Thanks.Watch the driver side hood scoop with the a/c bracket.There have been members that made contact between the two.

Yeah that happened to me.  Busted my freshly painted TC scoop...I would recommend closing the hood VERY carefully the 1st time!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #79
With the 4 bolts at the bottom of the compressor in place,is the top bracket really necessary?

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #80
Looking good:D

I forgot how may wires are in the engine bay :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #81
The wiring is 1/3 the weight of the whole car.LOL.

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #82
Just whack the top off the AC Bracket. It only needs maybe 1/4" to clear. It's not much. A grinder makes it almost seconds worth of work.

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #83
There are a lot of wires on these cars (especially a TC).  Lol 

I didn't get much done on the Blackbird today.  I spent most of the day at various bone yards, looking for small parts.  When I got home, I did clean up the power steering pump (took forever to get it nice and clean) and install it.  I also did more wiring work.
William

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #84
I've been following your build taking notes for my own build but I have a few questions...  since the TC hard fuel lines come up on the drivers side how are you going to tie them in using the stock 5.0 fuel rail?  also for the headlight harness did you leave the stock harness and add the wiring for the alternator or?  few things that are hanging me up.

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #85
Quote from: 88turbo;298726
I've been following your build taking notes for my own build but I have a few questions...  since the TC hard fuel lines come up on the drivers side how are you going to tie them in using the stock 5.0 fuel rail?  also for the headlight harness did you leave the stock harness and add the wiring for the alternator or?  few things that are hanging me up.

I removed the nylon fuel lines that came with the car and replaced them with new nylon fuel lines that I ran down the passenger side of the car. 

I haven't wired in my 3G alt yet, but I'm going to use the alt wires in the V8 harness I installed in the car.  I'm just gonna cut out the alt wires in the headlight harness.

I'm really enjoying this swap if you haven't noticed.
William

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #86
I know the feelings of enjoying the swap. I'm having a hard time finding time to actually do things on mine. I had thought about taking the alt wiring from the V8 harness but I wanted a second opinion before I took the harness apart. as far as the fuel lines I have heard that you can use a fuel rail from a 5.0 F150 for a direct swap.  I think I am going to try to confirm this.

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #87
f150's come off the drivers side. If I remember right from looking at my dad's 302 crown vic, the rails are different.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #88
Quote from: vinnietbird;298639

Just whack the top off the AC Bracket. It only needs maybe 1/4" to clear. It's not much. A grinder makes it almost seconds worth of work.

With my situation the hood cleared everything with the stock motor mounts.  When I pulled the motor last winter and then installed Chuck W mounts, the bracket hit the hood scoop.  I guess my old 180,000 mi mounts were sagging enough to clear.  So yeah I just grabbed the trusty grinder and went to work.

I agree with Vin though...I'm not sure the top part is really necessary at all.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Well guys...

Reply #89
I take back my previous comment about using the wires in the V8 harness to wire in my 3G.  After reading about it, I'm going to use JCassity's instructions and wire my 3G into the headlight harness.
William