Skip to main content
Topic: Header wrap (Read 844 times) previous topic - next topic

Header wrap

I just picked up some used BBK shortys and while they're still somewhat shiny, they're too rusty looking for me.  Nobody around here does ceramic coating, I don't want to do it myself and leaving them the way they are is off the table.  That brings me to header wrap.  Has anybody done this with shortys?  What product should I use?  Installation tips?

Header wrap

Reply #1
Ship them and have them coated.  I have seen headers rust out under header tape.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Header wrap

Reply #2
And it holds in the heat and they will want to crack and do bad things

Vht makes a good ceramic header paint

Header wrap

Reply #3
I've been keeping VHT as a last resort.  And strictly speaking, you WANT to keep the heat in the pipes til it gets to the bumper.  My BBKs are stainless, so I'm not concerned with large amounts of rust.  I'm just not liking the idea of shipping them off, it sounds expensive.

Header wrap

Reply #4
We always wrap headers or should i say exhaust manifolds with a turbo. heat is the answer!!!! But the wrap will rot a header out faster than a hungry dog to a chow line!

This is what we keep in for turbo cars  :flame:
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Header wrap

Reply #6
I've used the vht it works good

Header wrap

Reply #7
Yes, headers and turbo manifolds last longer unwrapped, but its not worth the extra heat they put in the engine bay. I would rather replace the headers every 4 years than heat soak every other componant in the engine bay. I have every inch of my manifolds wrapped and my turbo blanketed. Its amazing how much cooler the engine bay stays. Its better for maintaining exhaust velocity too.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Header wrap

Reply #8
The cost of shipping them is relative but its not cheap coating the headers either.  If the headers are stainless then I would say wrap them as they will stand up to it longer.  I have the entire exhaust coated on my '83 and it was not too bad cost wise and it looks awesome.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Header wrap

Reply #9
Not to mention cooking the starters gets old in hurry, I went through 3 starters in no time when I had my first 347 with long tube headers. Do the wrap, screw the coating and paint. Heat wrapped headers will also help protect wiring and vacuum lines, I don't how many stupid wires, hoses and plug wires I melted on the stupid turbo manifold.