Skip to main content
Topic: AOD rebuild (Read 1106 times) previous topic - next topic

AOD rebuild

Well I've found a guy to build my motor. (first he tried to talk me into a 600+ cubic inch 1000+hp alcohol motor he had laying around!...I reluctantly declined :grinno: ) Anyway, he's agreed to do do my motor sometime in the fall.  Right now I am figuring up how much money I need to save up.  Obviously with a hotter motor up front I'm gonna have to rebuild my 180,000 mile AOD.  What are my options for a rebuild that would handle at the most 400 hp?  I assume there are plenty of mustang rebuild kits you could buy "off the shelf".  Or is it cheaper to go with a "stock" type rebuild and buy just certain more high performance or stronger parts (input shaft etc)?  I know a local guy who builds a lot of autos for drag cars but I have yet to talk to him about it and he is fairly pricey.  Just wanted some advice from someone who may have done a similar buildup as what I am aiming for.  And what kind of dollars am I lookin' at here?
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube