Skip to main content
Topic: ok confusion question(im confused) (Read 4358 times) previous topic - next topic

ok confusion question(im confused)

ok on my 84 cougar 5.0 the door tag says its a 3.08 rear end. ok no biggie but one nice day when i did a nice burnout i had 2 sets of tracks!! :evilgrin:  but the door tag says its a 3.08 open rear end. ok so what is going on here ive looked at the tech section but hasent givin me mutch help. so i need to know if i have a locking rear or not or was it just a by chance i got dual wheel peel?

update: just put the rear end in the air and it appears its the 3.08 7.5" rear end but its a locking rear end. now my question this time is how many 84 5.0 gs cougars from the facroty are like this? is this a rare rear end?
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Re: ok confusion question(im confused)

Reply #1
What makes you think it's a locking rear exactly?  Locking (traction-lok) rears will spin both tires in the same direction when you have 'em up in the air (spinning them by hand, not with the car in drive).  It's possible, a fluke, that you can spin both tires with an open rear, my '84 Cougar did it once or twice as well.

Reply #2
well i was only able to pick up one side and i know if its a open rear end it will just spin but when i spun it i herd a clicking noise. whitch leads me to belive that it could be a locking rear end. but the rear end tag is really rusted.

Got that fox rash again!

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #3
I dunno about clicking.  You'll have to get both rear wheels up to do that test.  I was taking an 8.8 out for my car and the tag was so rusted it snapped off but I was able to read it with the help from some sandpaper.

Reply #4
According to the '84 shop manual you can have either a Integral (7.5) or a Traction-Lok (7.5) rear.
The AX codes for a 3.08 are Y for conventional rear and Z for lock.

Reply #5
He stated his door tag indicates an open rear but has evidence that it may be otherwise.  I'm doubting that it is, though, because my '84 did some of the same things, but was an open rear.

Reply #6
it could have the towing package, which i think included the 3.08 rear, t-lock, i think 10" drums and a different alternator
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #7
I have the towing option on my car. It has 10' drums quad shocks and an open rear end
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #8
mine is like a normal set up 2 shocks controlling arms and all that. the norm. so why would it be locking? and not open?

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #9
who cares? dont complain
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #10
not complaning just whant to make sure i understand everything and if i do have track lock ill be jumpin up and down for joy cuz i can keep this rear end in it and focus on the motor and trans.

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #11
Locking or not, it's still a 7.5 and they can break more easily than an 8.8  I'd be willing to bet that it's not locking.  A locking 7.5 is a rare thing to find and I can't see any reason why the car would have one when the door tag says otherwise.

Reply #12
just like my car, ive spun two tires, its possible someone swapped in an early TC rear, but why would they?

focus on the motor and trans anyways, youre not going to break a 7.5 on anything other than slicks, or really sticky street tires and a good bit of power, which i dont think youre packing either at the moment
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #13
Hey mf-er... I broke my 7.5 on a stock 5.0 and just a hair over 100k so it can happen.

Remember?

Reply #14
no, i dont remember, and no, you didnt break it

so back down!

:p
It's Gumby's fault.