Skip to main content
Topic: My first CJ..... (Read 3971 times) previous topic - next topic

My first CJ.....

I would really like to attend CJ this year and bring my car. I don't think the car will make it but, I was wondering if I should load up the pops truck with the Cougar/Tbird parts I have sitting around and try to sell them at the event. Has anyone done this before and is there anything required to fill out before I truck from half way around the globe?

My first CJ.....

Reply #1
Registration is here: https://www.coolcats.net/catjam/register.html

Unfortunately we don't have any private areas just for us, therefore we cannot have any type of swap meet. IF you are completing a pre-arranged transaction, there's no problem with that. Otherwise the parts need to stay home.

My first CJ.....

Reply #2
Doh!?! Yeah...I won't be able to do that. Guess I will mark that off my calendar. Hope to make it next year for some organized Drag Racing, if it happens. Can't wait till I open my own strip...then I will host CJ for the club and allow swap'ems and a car show....in between rounds!!!

My first CJ.....

Reply #3
nm
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

My first CJ.....

Reply #5
Wow, I want to go to Cat Jam but really can't do it this year. You know there are plenty of swap meets out there you can go to and we all don't mind selling/trading parts. No need to make this a fight.

My first CJ.....

Reply #6
Yeah, I agree with Karen, Organizing one of these events is not as simple as spreading engine oil on a piece of toast and calling it Cat Jam. It's a lot of effort, trust me, I looked into hosting it one year in Niagara Falls, Canada. Let's just say my hat goes off every year to Eric for organizing it.

My first CJ.....

Reply #7
littleangel1198 - i dont think he was acting like one of those guys you were talking about.  i bet they can make a drama stink fest.  i think he means he'll attend next year when his car can make the trip since he cant bring parts to swap and sell.  he prolly didnt know it was a no no.  eric knows what i mean in reply #5
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

My first CJ.....

Reply #8
Let's just stop this right now, okay? It was an offhand comment that was taken too literally by a few people. If I'm not offended that's all that counts. We don't want anyone to read this bickering and get discouraged.

My first CJ.....

Reply #9
I'm sorry if anyone was offended. Eric and AC are correct...I was not attempting to gouge anyone just that I would not be able to attend if I could not bring parts to swap.

I had no idea that we were not allowed to sell parts and Eric sorted me out. I appreciate your help Eric cause I would have come all the way from Sydney, empty my storage area in Illinois, drive to CJ, attempt to sell my stuff, drive back to Illinois and be on a plane back to Sydney by July 11th.
I was not attempting to get anyone wound up.

As far as spreading oil on toast and calling it CJ....I was just saying that I am working toward opening my own drag strip in the midwest and would work with the group here to host the event, no take it away.....we are all on the same team here.

Dallas

My first CJ.....

Reply #10
That would be way cool if you could make that happen, my man. I'd consider moving the show for a year as your "housewarming gift" LOL. Keep us informed about that (if you can) and here's hoping things fall your way.

My first CJ.....

Reply #11
That's not an issue. It will be a while until I retire and open a track, but right around the corner in other terms. I am already working the financial side as well as procuring the properties (as it would take close to 130 acres of land for an average size drag strip). It has been a difficult battle with gvt's and small businesses so far...I imagine it will only get worse. I would say I have about 5 years until the gates open (at best guess)....is that plenty of time to consider moving??...LOL!

My first CJ.....

Reply #12
Yes, that is enough time LOL.

Just FYI...our local track is sitting in the middle of a bunch of empty land, which of course, amplifies the sounds coming from the drag strip. Just last week it was announced that the nearby city is looking to annex the property (it's in a township now) and turn the land surrounding the track into an industrial park. It makes a lot of sense, because there will be residual money as long as there are tenants in the park. The land makes money over and over again, and can sustain its own costs (and maybe even make a profit). Plus the buildings will act as a buffer zone for the surrounding area, as far as the sound. Just something to think about. :)

My first CJ.....

Reply #13
be like the guy that owns Charlotte motor speedway.. or Lowe's motor speedway as its popularly known.  he built a 1/4 mile dirt track, it might be smaller than that.. but he decided to build a huge magnificent drag strip within the property of the track like he did with the dirt track.  When the city LMS is in found out that there was going to be a pro drag strip they made a big huge stink about noise concerns and stuff like that.  well he replied saying basically if you wont let me build what i want on my own property, i'll bulldoze the whole place and relocate the track somewhere else taking the millions of dollars the nascar races, the short track races, and now the drag strip brings to that town and the rest of the citys around there from tourism.  well.. he got to build his drag strip ;)  if you can show that you'll bring revenue into the surrounding areas then you should get the businesses' support.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

My first CJ.....

Reply #14
I have been considering noise pollution and have thought of using pine trees and billboards strategically placed in formation (similar to the interior of a flowmaster ler) to cancel out the sound waves and "le" the noise. On top of that I had wanted to install at least 20 wind generators to generate electricity for the town.

A few other things I was thinking of are storage buildings on the property so a racer could store their cars at the track so they do not need to drag it to and from home with a trailer and truck. Use your TC to get to the track (40 mpg) and race all day.....40 mpg home as well. If you tear it up....who cares, push it to your storage building.

Also a "Motorsports Bar/Resturant"....who has one of those???

They are all ideas now.....just want them to come to fruition someday!