Skip to main content
Topic: DRNA Donations (Read 1107 times) previous topic - next topic

DRNA Donations

Hi everyone. Thank you for adding Dachshund Rescue of North America, Inc. (DRNA) to your CatJam charities list this year. Unfortunately, in this economy, the rate at which dogs are being surrendered is increasing.  Most of us have long waiting lists to bring in owner surrenders, as people are moving in with family or moving to an apartment and are unable to bring their family pets along.  A little about DRNA.....we are a national group of about 100 rescuers that are dedicated to rescuing and re-homing dachshunds. DRNA placed over 1000 dachshunds in 2008 alone. Jerry and I placed 43 in 2008.  None of our Board members are paid, so all of our funds go to help the dogs - we have very little administrative overhead.  To read our financials, go to Network for Good. We are a non-profit 501(c)(3) public charity and all of your donations are tax deductible. 

Jerry asked that I provide you with a donation list if you want to bring anything to CatJam. Please do not feel like you have to - I do not want to pressure anyone. But should you have the means to help, the following items are always appreciated in the world of dog rescue!
  • Petco or Petsmart gift cards - DRNA pays the vet bills, but we pay for everything else - so cards to purchase collars, coats, shampoo, pee pads, diapers, etc. are really helpful.
  • Gas cards - we have volunteers that are willing to help us transport dogs, but sometimes are unable to afford to do so. If we can offer gas money - this sometimes means the difference between being able to save dogs and having to leave them in shelters or not get them to their forever homes.
  • Leashes or collars (most dachshunds necks are between 9"-16")
  • Coats or sweaters for small to medium dogs (dachshunds weigh between 9 - 25 pounds)
  • Paypal, cash or checks made to DRNA are ALWAYS welcome - they go directly to our medical fund. Last year we paid for 16 back surgeries (average $3000) and had several dogs with severe medical issues and very high vet bills.
  • Blankets, heavy towels or dog beds are good....we try to make sure each dog has its own bed or blanket to take to their new home, so they have something familiar to take with them!

Dog food or treats are not a great idea - we do not have a facility - these dogs live with our reps and fosters so they eat whatever we feed our own dogs. 

And, if you have the time and the room and would consider fostering a dog in need, please let me know. The role of a foster is to provide a safe home for a dog while we find their forever home. That doesn't cost anything but a little dog food and a lot of love. Or if you have time and don't mind an occasional drive, let me know if you would like to help transport. It can be fun and it's great way to help. Transports are critical in dog rescue.

Thank you again for allowing us to partite this year - the dachshunds appreciate it!!  We are really looking forward to our Dog and Cat (Cougar) weekend in July!
Sheila
Dachshund Rescue of North America, Inc.
NY Representative
www.drna.org