Skip to main content
Topic: Cougar cam and converter!! (Read 1268 times) previous topic - next topic

Cougar cam and converter!!

Have a 88 xr7 with 138,000 miles engine enternals never touched, has ho upper intake, stock h.o mustang throttle body, underdrive pulleys, stock h.o mustang headers, dual exhaust, no cats flowmaster lers, h.o mustang rebuilt transmission with shift kit and 4.10 gears. Now thats out of the way im wanting to put new timing chain in but everyone had told me if im going to tear it down that much to put a new camshaft in it. What kind of cam can i put in my pretty much stock motor. And also have a converter question too, i bracket race my cougar it has the stock h.o. mustang converter, would a 2400 stall converter be too much for my car, and would i help or hurt the consistancy. It currently runs 9.55 in 1/8 mile. Not to bad for what it has..

Reply #1
Tokeep it simple, Get a Speed Density H.O computer, a set of 19# injectors, and an H.O cam. It'll be night and day difference, an easy swap, and a fun car without going to Mass Air and the rest.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Im really not looking for speed im wanting more consistantancy

Reply #3
Quote from: creekcougar1988;427340
Im really not looking for speed im wanting more consistantancy

*face palm*

Reply #4
As was said.....H.O. cam.
Consistency.....comes with experience.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #5
Consistency comes with performing same burnout, staging at same depth and leaving at same RPM EVERY time... Also the engine and trans should be at same temp each time...

Of course if you red light or sleep on the tree, none of the above will help...

Reply #6
So i can put a H.O. cam in my stock cougar with bigger injectors with no ill effects

Reply #7
Quote from: creekcougar1988;427364
So i can put a H.O. cam in my stock cougar with bigger injectors with no ill effects

Nope. A HO cam requires a HO computer and 19lb injectors.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.