Skip to main content
Topic: TC Front brakes (Read 933 times) previous topic - next topic

TC Front brakes

I'm doing a total overhaul on the front end and I've switched to '88 TC spindles, discs and calipers. everything went together nicely until I realised I was missing the caliper pin sleeves and the spring clips for the pads. NAPA, AutoZone, and even the Ford dealer are out of stock.

Does anyone know of anyone who still carries these? Makes them? Or maybe has an extra set?

I know they are the same parts as the Mustang GT but no one has those either. Am I SOL?

TC Front brakes

Reply #1
junkyard?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

TC Front brakes

Reply #2
Stainless Steel Sleeves? I don't think I have ever seen these fabled spring clips for the pads... which was part of the reason why my calipers rattled like a mofookie. :mad: S/S Sleeves helped somewhat. SN-95 parts solved the problem. :)
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

TC Front brakes

Reply #3
Quote from: Ether947;238063
Stainless Steel Sleeves? I don't think I have ever seen these fabled spring clips for the pads... which was part of the reason why my calipers rattled like a mofookie. :mad: S/S Sleeves helped somewhat. SN-95 parts solved the problem. :)

SN-95 parts? as in sleeves and clips? or did you change calipers to SN-95?

TC Front brakes

Reply #5
If you still have those let me know. I just ordered the MM sleeves but it would be nice to have the stock parts just in case.

TC Front brakes

Reply #6
I always get mine with the calipers. I do know that we sell them at the parts place I work at. Not to sure they are an in store stock but know we can get them. The factory rubber ones that is. as for the pad clips look parts store too. Trust me I work at one. These parts are all HARDWARE parts should be able to get them no prob. I'll Look at work and post part numbers at lunch.

And Ether947- Sorry I didn't notice earlier but the song came on durring my post - I can ride a bike with no handle bars!
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

TC Front brakes

Reply #7
SOLVED.

I am so pissed off at Autozone right now I can't see straight. When I actually started this project I already had calipers and pads but they were used and I hate using used parts if I can avoid it. So I went to Autozone (right up the street) and got new calipers and pads, as well as caliper pins. I thought it was odd that the TC pins were the same size as the pins from my stock 10" setup. I should have known better then, but after asking twice if he was sure it was the right part I took his word and left.

The problem I ran into was described in my original post to an extent. The hole through the outter pad was way larger than the head of the caliper pin. I thought there was a sleeve bushing that went over the pins and would fill in the gap between the pads and the pins. Even the parts diagram I got from the Ford parts dept. showed a sleave over the pin. No one had said sleeve, only the rubber bushing for the the backside.

So I ordered the stainless bushings from MM, got them on friday. To make sure I wasn't missing something, I took a trip today down to Lancaster and then south of Logan to look at Claude's SE with TC brake conversion. The drive would have been great on the hilly, twisty, backraods if not for the sightseeing, Sunday drive traffic. But when we got there, what I saw made me very angry. The pins ARE different.

I drove back to Columbus, went back into Autozone and pitched a fit. I cross referenced the '93 Rustang GT parts and straightened it all out, got the right pins and everything went together like clockwork.

I have spent a week and a half looking for parts that don't exist because Autozone didn't have their shiznit together. Eliminator has been parked the whole time over a wild goose chase.

She goes to Firestone tomorrow for a complete alignment (with a half degree extra negative camber) and she's sittin' pretty. And that ain't just a figure of speach. 1 3/4" lower in the front, the tires are about 3/4" from the wheel well opening. She looks downright angry. :D

Took her for a test drive and there is virtually NO BODY LEAN in hard cornering.

Me likes! :D