Skip to main content
Topic: Just to kick things off with the first post here (Read 4610 times) previous topic - next topic

Just to kick things off with the first post here

Does anyone have a good story about how they found / fell in love with their thunderbird or cougar?

Reply #1
i was actualy... looking for a camaro when i found a my first turbo coupe 5speed and was spellbound. i worked every day overtime to get that car (which was MINT...) i'v been hooked from then on (4 years ago)

Reply #2
It was March of 1999 when I saw my Thunderbird while cruising around looking for my first car. I saved and saved for months for the big day when it was time to buy a ride. 

We rolled up to a used car lot under the traintracks.  It was closed but through the fence we saw a great looking two-tone blue 87 Thunderbird.  It looked like a land yacht to me, but I really wanted it.

The next day I bought her for something like $400.00.  Not bad!  I've been in love with the car since then.

Chris
"I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry

Long life to our new Forum!

Reply #3
I found my first Cougar in a Local paper for cheap and felt in love with them...  :)

When does the Official forum Moves?

car shoping

Reply #4
i was looking for a car. and my brothers wife is a mail lady and spoted my cougar on her route(wasnt mine at the time) for sale  me and my brother whent up to look at it i had the money in my pocket and paid cash 1300. only a few small problems like the windows didnt go down and they were off the track.  and ever since then . time has told and will tell
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

Re: Just to kick things off with the first post here

Reply #5
mom told me bout a cougar when i was looking at a pontiac wagon. so i looked at it and as soon as i saw it i was hooked and that was about a year and a half ago.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #6
When i first saw it in my grandmothers driveway when i was about 5 eversince its been an obsession with domestics and BIG engines and oldies. I have always felt that the cougar nameplate deserves more publicity than it has gotten.

Reply #7
Quote from: merccougar50
Does anyone have a good story about how they found / fell in love with their thunderbird or cougar?

yes!!

because i love PU$$Y:p MEOW :D

naa i just got tired of getting bounced around in my mustang..it was tearing the A$$ out of me.it was the closest thing to driving a MACK truck!! anyway after i crashed it i desided to find something with a little better ride and i like cougars and found the one i wanted.. ie a V8 car, good body and no motor and tranny and payed $800.00 and so i swaped all the parts from my mustang to the cougar.."motor transmission and rear"
there's only about a half a dozen man made objects that are herd by the human ear below 40Hz,a pipe organ,thunder,the space shuttle lifting off,a jet airplane taking off or landing,a large canon,an atomic bomb ignited in your back yard and the heat wave afterward oh wait you would be dead so you would'nt hear it scratch that!,and maybe beating your hear against a wall less then 40 times a second..rap music is'nt one of them!thats 40-60Hz@100+db the moving air is under 40Hz

Reply #8
My uncle tells me he talked to this guy he works with and says he has a thunderbird with 2000 miles on it. He said it was in perfect condition. One day he says lets go look at it we go. We get in and I said, it's not in perfect condition. We are looking at it and everything. After 10 minutes my uncle goes, how much did you want for it again? $450. We'll take it. thats how I got my first car. 1993 Ford Thunderbird. Needed some work, but most of that is done.

Reply #9
my cougar was just true love. my dad had me take it to auto because i needed something to work on. he just bought it for $110. the brakes didnt work, it needed a new door, window, taillights, trunk, ect.i spent over $400 on it just in matenance. after that it sat for almost a year. that christmas all i got a chiltions with the title inside. happiest christmas ever!
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #10
my father sold the car he was originally going to give me, so he bought this thunderbird for me, i originally hated the thing, thought it was ugly, slow, i outright didnt want it...then i found the old ezboard and saw the other cars, saw the potential, started liking the car, then started doing things to make the car more the way i wanted it
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #11
To put it briefly, I was 6 years old when my dad bought his '84 in late '83 or early '84.  Loved the 83-88 Cats ever since.

When the '87 came out (I wasn't 10 yet), I didn't like it at first.  I thought it was too "bubbly."  Then it grew on me quick and ended up being my favorite style over the '83-'86.  I still like the '83-'86 cats though, '85 and '86 better because of the interior.  My mom saved crayon drawings I did of Cougars when I was in elementary school.  I now have them with my other Cougar memorabilia.

The '89s came out and, I uh, wasn't too fond of them.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #12
Went with my parents looking for a first car for me since my sister pretty much destroyed the '85 Dodge Colt Vista I would have gotten.  Looking at just about everything...even had a 70's f-bird TA we almost went for, but didn't feel right.  Someone my sister knew from school had "a 'Bird" for sale, went to take a look.  She followed me home, I fell in love doing a heater core and water pump in the dead of winter.  Then I found the messageboards, and found out there is no performance stuff for my engine.    :yuck:  Still love her though.

Reply #13
My sister was the first one to own a cougar, we went cruising in it every weekend :cool:  Then the car started to get a little old and rusty for her so my mom ended up using it, I never even payed that much attention to the cars.  Then one day driving along I saw an 87 XR7 sitting in the grass  It looked so low! love at first site! The next day I tolled my BF that that car was mine and I didnt care how we got it! so we went back to look at the car and saw it had the V8, we took a test drive and he loved it too :D Happy ending!

Except one part.. about one month later the trans went and we couldnt go past 30mph :mad:  Then we hit 2 deer with it! But thats okay because everytime something bad happened to it it just made me like it more and have more modivation to make it better ;)  And I paid to much but I rarly see a decent xr7 here so its still okay.

1987 cougar XR7 347 stroker FRP BOSS block 328rwhp 10.89 1/4mile @126mph ..so far..

2005 F150 5.4 vortec supercharged @15psi water methenol injected 450rwhp 14.0@98mph on 22's

Reply #14
I was looking for my first car and wanted a relatively large, two door, V8.  I was leaning towards a Monte Carlo, Trans Am, (ducks), an older mustang, or other musclecar.  I found a nice '79 Silver Anniversary Trans Am, but it was priced a little high and wouldn't be practical for a daily driver.  I couldn't find a decent Monte, and the '80s Trans Ams I found, I didn't like as much as I thought I would.  My mother was looking in the classifieds and said, "How about this? 1987 Cougar LS, V8, PW, PL, AC, $2000"  So I went with my father to look at it.  With the whitewalls on it and being two tone brown I wasn't so sure at first.  I hopped in and loved the size and comfort, so we took it for a spin...literally :D  It had bad injectors and after a little bit, would die all the time. It also had illegally bald rear tires.  I hobbled it in and we went home.  Thought about it overnight and knew I had to have it.  My father contacted them and worked them down to $1700 with 2 legal rear tires and all the problems fixed.  I went to teh bank and got a $2000 loan (registration, etc. brought it up to $2005 even) and took it home.  THey put it in the garage for a while and at this time (middle of a cold and snowy December in Minnesota) as soon as they took it out the windows completly fogged over.  As soon as I had a 2"x5" patch to see out of and a little from teh sides I took it home.  That was probably the scariest and stupidest drive home ever, but I only had to go through 2 little towns.  Drove it that way for the rest of my junior year then put on the Cooper Cobras.  Incidently, those old Cooper Lifelines with very little tread were better in the snow than the Cobras.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]