Skip to main content
Topic: Interior Refresh and Axle Swap (Read 2917 times) previous topic - next topic

Interior Refresh and Axle Swap

When I bought my '88 the seats were badly faded by the windows. I figured instead of getting them reupholstered I would try to redye/paint them. I also am switching from the four lug rear and front's to five lug from a Mark VII.XXX
If it looks like a duck.............walks like a duck...........quacks like a duck......................its a DUCK!

Reply #1
The seat looks great. Nice work. I had thought about going 5 lug, but had JUST bought new wheels. SO, sticking with 4, but I am going to go with bigger front brakes and add rear discs soon. Keep up the good work and more pics of your progress. Post up some pics of the car and some details about it. Last but not least. WELCOME to the forum.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
XX I finished the seats. The cloth is still soft as before. I have new carpet to install. I'll get some pics of that.
If it looks like a duck.............walks like a duck...........quacks like a duck......................its a DUCK!

Reply #3
Nice dye job. Have fun with the 5-lug swap. You're not using the MK VII front pieces are you?

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #4
Wow!  Great color match.  Did you use a product specifically intended for upholstery?  If so, where did you find?

Reply #5
I used the something called Simply Spray. It is meant for fabrics. You can Google it. The company has many different colors. I wasn't able to save the carpet. It smelled of mildew and had tar stains on it. I'm not rushing this refresh. That is when you mess up.
XXX

Reply #6
Quote from: 1BadBird;435559
Nice dye job. Have fun with the 5-lug swap. You're not using the MK VII front pieces are you?

I planned on swapping the front as well. Is there a reason I shouldn't?

Reply #7
Wow that dye really did a nice job for you.  Keep us updated with pics, will be interested to see how this turns out!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #8
XXX  Here are a few exterior shots. The body is pretty solid. Just two rust spots on the bottom by the seam below the passenger windows. They aren't through spots. The mileage is high but no knocks, pings or smoke.

Reply #9
Looks great man. I may have to go the same route for my red interior. Thanks for the share
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #10
Quote from: unclejess;435591
I planned on swapping the front as well. Is there a reason I shouldn't?
You're somewhat limited as what wheels you can use because of the hub. It sticks out further and some of the wheel center caps don't fit. Unless you use the MK VII wheels. I used them and I had to mill the center of the wheels out enough to fit the hubs and the center caps wouldn't fit, they hit the dust caps.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #11
Oh wow. I better look into that before I do any of it. Thank you. I just checked on that. The hub doesn't fit and if I mill it out the cap won't go on just like you said. I have some thinking to do on this now.:(

Reply #12
You can still swap in the rear. Search on here for what others have done without going to sn-95 stuff, but you do get better brakes going with the sn-95 stuff. imho

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #13
What was the color of the dye that you purchased? It looks pretty spot on, and if it saved me from having to purchase seat covers :) !
1987 Tbird 5.0 swap, go fast mods coming soon....