Skip to main content
Topic: Early morning starting issue with the Sport.... (Read 4148 times) previous topic - next topic

Early morning starting issue with the Sport....

Reply #15
Yeah, I'm with it now. I know what it stands for, but after the past two weeks I've had, my mind has been in extreme overdrive. I wouldn't have thought of that sensor without you mentioning it. I will run codes this afternoon. I just got a new battery for the ol' girl as well. Hopefully that's it for a while. Money isn't growing on trees around here.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #16
True, but tax time is comming soon.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #17
No paycheck or tax money goes to the Sport.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #18
I knew it was that sensor....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #19
I didn't, just a lucky guess. I've never even seen one go bad. To rule it out if I didn't have a volt meter, I would have swapped it with the act.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #20
I've gone through enough of them to know that's usually the problem...
happened almost every other year when I was driving it all the time. the vert is also doing it, but I haven't bothered to change it yet..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #21
It was $9.99 at Autozone. Lifetime warranty. Today while driving, the car's temp gauge looked as though the Sport was overheating. I figured the sensor...so, I re-replaced it, and now all is good, no starting issues, and no false over heating episodes. I also swapped the front brakes, washed the car, waxed it, vacuum and installed the new floor mats. If the weather holds out tomorrow, I'm installing the new roller rockers (gotta send off the 1.6's to their new home), then watch TV all day long.

Reply #22
I haven't ever seen one cause a problem, but it makes sense that it would. I have seen gas milage suffer from an old one. ECT and O2 sensors tend to gunk up after a while, and although it may not be bad enough to throw a code, it could be enough to affect gas mileage. Just a little FYI.

Reply #23
O2 sensors are on my list of things to do. Along with TV watching, and extreme chillaxin'.

Reply #24
It went two days and perfect. then today, same issue again. Maybe the sending unit is bad ????

Reply #25
check the codes Vinnie...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #26
hope it's not a wiring problem
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #27
Codes. I forgot to check the codes. Tomorrow for sure.

Reply #28
Quote from: daminc;378832
hope it's not a wiring problem

I am TRULY going to pretend I did NOT just hear that.

Reply #29
Come on Vinnie. An electrical problem on the sport is just what we need! It would give us all something to work together on instead of fighting with each other.