Skip to main content
Topic: F'ing steam (Read 2105 times) previous topic - next topic

F'ing steam

so has anyone figure a way yet to stop Steam from doing its own thing yet by hogging bandwidth doing its downloads whenever it wants to?

the boys are killing my Hughesnet 750MG daily limit download.

I have done some research and not actually coming up empty but am reluctant to fool with msconfig and the registry until i do a stare and compare to what others have done first.

stupid games are too big to fit on CD's anymore.

F'ing steam

Reply #1
Quote from: jcassity;376637
so has anyone figure a way yet to stop Steam from doing its own thing yet by hogging bandwidth doing its downloads whenever it wants to?
the boys are killing my Hughesnet 750MG daily limit download.
I have done some research and not actually coming up empty but am reluctant to fool with msconfig and the registry until i do a stare and compare to what others have done first.
stupid games are too big to fit on CD's anymore.

Yeah, it can be closed, as ya might know, but I don't personally know of a way to have a "timer" or anything to shut it off.

As far as a game fitting on a cd, most games now use dvds, and a big part of those are dual layer discs. Steam's main point is to play games for less than the cost of actually buying the game on disc, and needing said disc to play a particular game.

But, like you have found, if you're on a bandwidth-limited isp, it can become a problem pretty fast.

I dunno...maybe tell the boys to close steam when they're not using it?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

F'ing steam

Reply #2
Msconfig only governs programs that are not needed, as long as windows is newer then 98. 2000/xp and everythijg newer you can uncheck every box in startup tab. All it does is launch the programs.

I've never used steam. I know my two brothers do, but where we hit over 10mb/s download, it does not really effect me so?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

F'ing steam

Reply #3
they would need to go into the steam lib and set the games to not auto update. when they do update one they would then need to (if they each have their own pc) only update 1 then move the newly updated GCF file from one to the other pc Via the in house network. so even if one updates it only cost the bandwith of 1 "oh and change providers if possible i limit what is this the 80's?

F'ing steam

Reply #4
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;376639
Yeah, it can be closed, as ya might know, but I don't personally know of a way to have a "timer" or anything to shut it off.

As far as a game fitting on a cd, most games now use dvds, and a big part of those are dual layer discs. Steam's main point is to play games for less than the cost of actually buying the game on disc, and needing said disc to play a particular game.

But, like you have found, if you're on a bandwidth-limited isp, it can become a problem pretty fast.

I dunno...maybe tell the boys to close steam when they're not using it?

Scott, not sure if this is even an issue for you still, but I was installing Steam on a different PC, and I found an option to not allow Steam to start/connect when Windows loads. Hope this may help, although it's nearly a month and half since you started this thread :D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6