Topic: 93 cobra cd player radio (Read 3495 times) previous topic - next topic

93 cobra cd player radio

hi everyone 
i would like to know if this radio can fit in a 86 t bird
got the premium sound  no equalizer automatic antenna
are the back plugs the same as the cassette player
and is it a nice fit  speaking of the dimensions of that radio

thanx everyone

i just ran into a couple of them on ebay and it got my heart pounding  lol  i love the stock look of that radio plus the benefits of a cd player

heres a link http://cgi.ebay.com/1987-93-FORD-MUSTANG-COBRA-STEREO-RADIO-CD-PLAYER-DISC-/180496768311?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item2a06721d37

its brand new!

93 cobra cd player radio

Reply #2
watchdevil, i went and checked the back of my radio and found that i have 2 plugs
the black and grey as stated in the link u sent me
the 93 radio only has one of those plugs shape and the other plugs are two sqare type separate plugs  can it still work?  what will i have to do to make it fit

thanx for the help

93 cobra cd player radio

Reply #3
I think the 93 radio you have listed there is designed to work with an amplifier.

I replaced my failed tape deck with a tape deck from a 2000 contour.  You do need to add one wire if you find the black/grey radio, as the factor radio in my 88 used the radio frame as a ground. 

Once you add the additional ground, the illumination will work.  I am using a factory radio out of a 2000 Contour.

Oh, and I drilled out the rivets for the mounting ears on the old radio and installed them onto the 2000 unit.
-Z
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

93 cobra cd player radio

Reply #5
Yea, I noticed it after I made my post.  I forgot the one I grabbed was a tape deck.  Sorry for the misinformation.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

93 cobra cd player radio

Reply #6
is there any way to make it work?
im nor really good with audio

93 cobra cd player radio

Reply #7
Anythings possible.  You would need to have an external amplifier as the signals coming out are not capable of driving the speakers directly.  The easiest solution might be to get a factory amplifier and wire harness from a junked car and splice it into your harness.  Otherwise, you would need the connectors, a wiring diagram, some bulk wire and lots of time.

93 cobra cd player radio

Reply #8
according to the website you provided if i have the black and grey plugs  it means i have no amplifier but according to sams fox thundercats if i have premium sounds whitout equalizer it means i have a factory amplifier behind the rear seats

93 cobra cd player radio

Reply #9
In 88, if you have premium sound, you do have a factory amplifier.  I think it's more of a line level amplifier though.  I have this system.  Theres a y little amplifier in the package tray in the trunk.  I think it gave the system just enough to drive 6 speakers instead of 4.  The later ford systems had a much larger amplifier.

93 cobra cd player radio

Reply #10
Quote from: 1986Élan;320071
watchdevil, i went and checked the back of my radio and found that i have 2 plugs
the black and grey as stated in the link u sent me
the 93 radio only has one of those plugs shape and the other plugs are two sqare type separate plugs  can it still work?  what will i have to do to make it fit

thanx for the help

Lets see... I took the dash out of a 1986 Tbird not too long ago thinking I was going to use it. I remember specifically it had premium sound installed in it. The gray and black plugs were there, but since the car used a premium sound amplifier it had a jumper harness to power the amplifier, but also a harness connetor that rerouted the speaker wires to go to the amplifier and from the amplifer to the speaker output of the radio head unit. All of those connectors used the two seperate gray and black connectors.

I got a Ford Countour radio to put in my 95 Mustang dash which I swapped into my 84 Tbird. I had to cut off the old style Ford square plugs and splice the newer style gray and black plugs into the 84 Tbird wiring harness for this to work.

I am not sure about the two square plugs you are talking about. Are you saying this is on the back of the 93 Cobra radio? I can't find anything on this that suggests there is anything other than the long gray and black plugs.

This is another site that may help you:

http://www.modifiedlife.com/1993-ford-mustang-car-audio-wiring-schematic/

1993 Ford Mustang Car Audio Wiring Schematic

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Green/Yellow
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow/Black
Car Radio Ground Wire: Chassis
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Blue/Red
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Orange/Blue
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 5 1/4″
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Doors
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Orange/Green
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue/White
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Green/Orange
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 5″ x 7″
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Side Panels
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink/Green
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Pink/Blue
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink/Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Green/Orange

1986 Ford Thunderbird Car Radio Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Green/Yellow
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow/Black
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black/Light Green
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Blue/Red
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Orange/Blue
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 3 1/2″
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Dash
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Orange/Green
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/White
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/White
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 6″ x 9″
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Rear Deck
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink/Green
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Pink/Blue
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink/Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Green/Orange

Everything here should match perfect!

93 cobra cd player radio

Reply #11
More FYI... The radio with combined CD player that is in this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1987-93-FORD-MUSTANG-COBRA-STEREO-RADIO-CD-PLAYER-DISC-/180496768311?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item2a06721d37

Don't give any credibility to the eBay ad description. That style Ford radio face was never offered in any Mustang or Cobra as factory equipment before 1994. Mustangs from 1994 to 2001 ALWAYS had the seperate CD player mounted in the slot below the radio. I used to have a 1994 and 1999 Mustang and teh CD player was in the slot below the radio.  In 2002 the radios changed to double din faces on most Fords. However due to design limitations of some Ford models which they could not change the dash for a double DIN opening, they developed a single DIN radio that included the CD player... But none of them appeared as optional factory equipment on any Mustangs. They will retrofit into Mustangs and many older Ford models with the single DIN faceplate.

93 cobra cd player radio

Reply #12
well apparently this cd player was offered in 95 -98 windstar
and svt contour too
but i guess the plugs behind remain the same as the one in ebay right?