Skip to main content
Topic: winter rebuild (Read 1986 times) previous topic - next topic

winter rebuild

so the rebuild has begun, pulled the motor about a month ago and have been working onit in my free time. 2 trips to the machine shop with the block,1st time to ream the ridge,hone the cylinders and press in new cam bearings.2nd time to have them pull a scratch out of a cyl. after a honing stone broke and scarred the cyl.(should of left well enough alone)
all new internals,crank,cam,pistons,rods,lifters
heads have been ported and polished,new springs and valves.

I sped the smog and AC components and now have the motor back in,hopefully will have it wired and running in the next day or two.[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
'85 tbird base 3.8 auto full power on the interior.
to do list- motor rebuild, swap in disc's for the rear and???????????:birdsmily:

winter rebuild

Reply #1
Way to go. It's nice to see another V-6 engine back on the road soon.

Chris
"I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry

winter rebuild

Reply #2
Looks really clean... nice work!
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant

winter rebuild

Reply #3
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

well motor is in and running have some idle issues that need ironing out but so far so good.
I really missed driving it.I've found myself taking the longest possible routes to and from work now that it's back.put the summer wheels on it so hopefully no more snow for the year.
next project is the exhaust and suspension. but that will have to wait till winter cause I'm not taking it off the road again for the rest of summer.
to do list- motor rebuild, swap in disc's for the rear and???????????:birdsmily:

winter rebuild

Reply #4
Looks really nice, hopefully mine will look 3/4's as good as yours when I get done with my Cougar.

winter rebuild

Reply #5
Car looks good , I like the air cleaner lid
Fox-less at the moment

winter rebuild

Reply #6
I wish I would of had time to clean up and paint everything in the engine bay but was in a rush to get it back on the road. hopefully I'll get to it this summer.

Having a hard time getting the idle right. just cant get it to that happy spot.

winter rebuild

Reply #7
car looks good,where did you get those wheels?..........love em.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

winter rebuild

Reply #8
Quote from: Chooglin;316700
car looks good,where did you get those wheels?..........love em.

picked up the wheels last year at a local s yard they were on a  '88 stang that had been wrecked. picked up all 4 for $20.spent the winter cleaning and polishing them. I like the way they look,keeps that '80's look!

winter rebuild

Reply #9
Did you put the motor and trany in as a unit or seperatly?  I know I will need to rebuild mine, but I'm like you, I wanna drive it around and enjoy it before I start major things.
Steel braided looks really kewl.

winter rebuild

Reply #10
Quote from: Miah;316847
Did you put the motor and trany in as a unit or seperatly?  I know I will need to rebuild mine, but I'm like you, I wanna drive it around and enjoy it before I start major things.
Steel braided looks really kewl.

yeah the motor and tranny went in together.and went in easier than it came out.the top photo in the first post is when it first came out and according to the orig. owner it was the first time. I'm pretty sure the orig. head gaskets were on. and they were deffinately the factory bearings through out the lower end, all bearings were still stamped with the ford production date of 6/85.