Skip to main content
Topic: UPDATE 8/27: The 85 Bird - lots of pics. (Read 5459 times) previous topic - next topic

UPDATE 8/27: The 85 Bird - lots of pics.

Reply #15
Quote from: cougar86_89;220227
Looks great! are you going to lower it?

Whats going on with the rear mudflaps? they are killin it with the body kit on there. Do you have a rear bumper cover?

The shop said that it will settle a little bit over time.  The new springs and shocks keep 'er up a bit high for my taste.  We'll see on that.  I have plenty of time.  I suppose one would have to either replace or cut the springs.  They replaced mine becasue two of them were broken... plus they wanted  to beef them up with the bigger engine in the front. 

Yeah, man... the flaps will probably be going sooner or later.... just took the front ones off yesterday to put on the front ground effects.  Don't you know they make the car go faster.  LOL  EDIT:  No wait,  took them off a couple weeks ago when I put on the side skirts.  My bad.

As far of the rear ground effects cover/skirt.  I do not have one.  When I purchased my gound effects the guy only had the front and sides.  I am torn on whether or not I like the look of the rear skirt or not.  I have looked at a lot of other cars on cardomain and some have it, some do not.  For me it depends on the angle that you look at the car.  I am keeping an eye out for one.... but I will only buy one if it is pretty cheap.
===85BIRD===
:birdsmily:

Reply #16
That's a great story. I got my 88 Bird in HS also, and drove it even after college for a few years, before I put it in storage for about 5 yrs. I'm 31 years old now, and I'm just now getting it the way I always wanted it to be. Your car looks great...keep up the good work!
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant

Reply #17
That car is awesome; a nice paint job will really set it off too.  Glad to see it up and runnin :) .  Enjoy it!

Reply #18
Quote from: 88BlueBird;220233
That's a great story. I got my 88 Bird in HS also, and drove it even after college for a few years, before I put it in storage for about 5 yrs. I'm 31 years old now, and I'm just now getting it the way I always wanted it to be. Your car looks great...keep up the good work!

Thanks 88BlueBird. It is far from done, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm just lucky I kept parts of it in good shape.  I'm also lucky I was able to have other people do most of the work.  It would have taken me a lifetime to do this.  Part of our stories sound very similar.  I SWEAR that this car drove me home by all by itself sometimes.  We have always looked after one another.  LOL  Some people thought I was stupid holding on to it... said I would never get anything for it.  I always said, "yep, you're right, becasue I'm NOT SELLING it."  The funny thing is that the car does not remind me of a specific person, relationship, or point in time.  We are one I guess.
===85BIRD===

Reply #19
Quote from: kingcars;220237
That car is awesome; a nice paint job will really set it off too.  Glad to see it up and runnin :) .  Enjoy it!

Thanks.  All of you guys' input means a lot to me.  There are few people that I know that can really appreciate this style of car.  Most people know of mustangs, corvettes, etc.  These really are sweet looking cars.  Oh, I'm enjoying it.... a lot.
===85BIRD===

Reply #20
Quote from: 85bird;220232
The shop said that it will settle a little bit over time.  The new springs and shocks keep 'er up a bit high for my taste.  We'll see on that.  I have plenty of time.  I suppose one would have to either replace or cut the springs.  They replaced mine becasue two of them were broken... plus they wanted  to beef them up with the bigger engine in the front. 

Yeah, man... the flaps will probably be going sooner or later.... just took the front ones off yesterday to put on the front ground effects.  Don't you know they make the car go faster.  LOL  EDIT:  No wait,  took them off a couple weeks ago when I put on the side skirts.  My bad.

As far of the rear ground effects cover/skirt.  I do not have one.  When I purchased my gound effects the guy only had the front and sides.  I am torn on whether or not I like the look of the rear skirt or not.  I have looked at a lot of other cars on cardomain and some have it, some do not.  For me it depends on the angle that you look at the car.  I am keeping an eye out for one.... but I will only buy one if it is pretty cheap.

I have the front and rear but no sides. I feel the same way about the rear. I saw it on one car that really looked good but i dont think im doing skirts now so Ill leave it off for now.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #21
Quote from: cougar86_89;220250
I have the front and rear but no sides. I feel the same way about the rear. I saw it on one car that really looked good but i dont think im doing skirts now so Ill leave it off for now.

Oh c'mon... no skirts... how bout a pink tu-tu.  LOL.  If you ever are looking to sell the rear really cheap to a heck of a guy.... you know how to get in touch with me.... but I'm in no hurry becasue I just do not know if I would put it on or not.  I do, however like options.
===85BIRD===

Reply #22
Car looks great! The wheels arn't in my taste but I have semi-simple taste. :)
1988- 3.8- T-bird- sold 2005 Grand Prix, GTP- COMP.G MODS: Inferno Hood, GXP spoiler, Liquid Metal Wheels,K&N Intake,LED taillights,LED reverse lights, LED interior lights, 180*,605s, Pacesetters :burnout:

Reply #23
Quote from: Vantage08;220509
Car looks great! The wheels arn't in my taste but I have semi-simple taste. :)

Thanks man.  Appreciate it.  Yeah, man... wheels are such a personal thing.  Some have said they love 'em... some they're ugly.  But, you know my opinion.  I had to stay with something directional.  Right after I bought the car, one day dad says he needed the car for the afternoon.  I didn't ask why, just figured he wanted to be sure sonny boy got a good car.  Well, he came home with new rims on the car for me.  They were directional ones. (not pictured on my photos, actually on the front of the car).  When I had my car done we went with a 9" 5-lug posi rear end.  Becasue we went with 5-lug, obviously the old ones wouldn't fly and had to replace them.  When looking for new ones I wanted to stay with directional becasue that is what pa picked out.  Here's what they look like close up . . . .
===85BIRD===

Update 8/20

Reply #24
Almost done . . . . .
===85BIRD===

Reply #25
Looking good there!

Reply #26
pull it out of the garage and take some pics. Looks killer.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #27
I am in love! That is one of the sickest t-birds on the site! One day my kitty will be there.
1987 Cougar XR7 5.0 SOLD
1992 Ranger 4.0
2018 Hyundai Elantra
2019 Ram Rebel

Reply #28
It maybe worth it to go back and get the Continental seat track then. If you guys can do it then I know I can as well with some serious effort. It will be fairly easy to see if the seat tracks bolt to the floor in the right places between the Cougar and the Continental they have in the yard right now, but it would be my luck the car would be removed by the time I make my next trip back!

Reply #29
Wow it looks like I won't be able to spot you by the "unpainted" ground effect any more. Well hopefully one of these days I'll see it out and about while I'm cruising around. Looks very nice sir.

Peace,
Dan W.
87' Mercury Cougar XR-7 5.0/AOD (DD)
85' Mercury Cougar GS 3.8/3-spd (project)