Skip to main content
Topic: can't figure out why gas is leaking around injectors? (Read 1291 times) previous topic - next topic

can't figure out why gas is leaking around injectors?

well to make the story short, I just recently got another bird a couple months ago, and I started to replace some parts. When I got the car, I didn't think too much bout it, but everytime i parked it I always smelled gasoline fumes, I didn't think  it was a problem. Well after I started putting some parts on such as valve covers, plugs, wires, I found some liquid around the injectors, and below the upper intake. I thought maybe it was water at first, then i thought it couldn't be since I park it in the garage. So, I took a cloth and wiped it, and sure enough it was the smell of gas. Now, my question is, I have no clue where it could be leaking at? Any thoughts? Anyone had this problem? Or got any pointers? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Re: can't figure out why gas is leaking around injectors?

Reply #1
Did you knock the injectors around a little?  Or did you remove them or the runners at all?  I had the same problem with my 86 2.3 after I changed the cooling fan switch.  The O-rings on the injectors were just old and when I moved them they didn't seal right anymore.  So I would suggest getting an o-ring set from Autozone and replacing them.  That is what I did with mine and no more leaking.

Jim
86 2.3 Turbo

Re: can't figure out why gas is leaking around injectors?

Reply #2
They often leak on the body of the inector where it is crimped together. If the "O" ring kit doesn't fix it, you'll have to replace the leaking injector(s).