Skip to main content
Topic: A/C & Front Mount Intercooler (Read 825 times) previous topic - next topic

A/C & Front Mount Intercooler

This is a question for those of you who have r-134a A/C setups in your Fox, with a Front Mount Intercooler installed as well.

How well does your A/C work? What temperature does the air blow out of the vents at idle/cruise? I'm looking to keep the A/C in my Bird no matter what, even when I go with a larger turbo, but am wondering how well it will actually work with the A/C Condenser sandwiched between the extremely hot Intercooler and Radiator. I understand that r-134a setups typically require more volume of cold air flowing through the condenser, to prevent short cycling of the compressor, than what R-12 setups do. I'd imagine that cold air will be hard to come by with a 350F + hot plate mounted right in front of it. Maybe add a pusher e-fan in front of the condenser? Anyone with experience here?

Reply #1
its not going to be 350* unless you are really beating on the car, which is not normally the case when the a/c is on anyway.  I've never had too many problems on my burgundy bird other than it leaking the Freon out.  Worked great till I had to reroute lines around the turbo.  At this point I think I have a clogged orfice tube because sometimes it will be cold as ice and sometimes not cold at all.  I don't think the IC affects it at all.

88 t-bird tc - 14.97 @ 90  IHI 18 psi + k+n filter...so far - NOW HX-35 @25psi - 12.75@112    348rwhp/395rwtq
78 F-150 - 11.61@120 on 175shot N20 - 12.55@110 on motor - 5200# race weight:hick:

Reply #2
Cool, thanks for the reply.