Skip to main content
Topic: My '88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (New Paintjob in Progress) (Read 8537 times) previous topic - next topic

My '88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (New Paintjob in Progress)

Reply #30
Yes that chain thing does work :D That comment was more for someone else's benefit. It is a great pain to clean an interior or engine bay from all the sanding dust, soooo darn time consuming. Now if I can only get the 1 other body/frame tech here to do that :(
I also just got the boss to get one of those anti-static hoses for the booth. Every little bit helps :)  Good luck on the paint job!!  :D

I just read your responses about the type of paint you're using. Cool.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #31
Oh Yeah! :roxor:

Scored some Ford NOS Hella Fog Lamps at a local swap meet we went to this morning. These where made for the 93-94 Explorer Limited, but are the same as the stock TC Fog lamps in every way except for the electrical connector, which is easily changed. He only wanted $40 a piece! I didn't argue, as these are  hard to find NOS.

The T-Bird Gods must be smiling down upon me. :)

Reply #32
very nice score

Reply #33
Got some free time on the comp at work right now, so I thought I'd throw out another update. Door Jambs are finally Painted.

10 hours of prep into these door jambs alone. Which is a good indicator of why this job has, and is gonna take so long to complete. It has to be done right or I will never be satisfied with it.

Working on the doors as we speak, will have pics of them painted next, as well as everything reassembled. Just bought a plethora of new parts to install as well. Had packages stacked 5ft high on my front porch when I got home from work yesterday. Things are looking good for the 'ol Bird right now :)

Reply #34
love the color. I feel your pain when i did mine it started as a scuff and shoot to a 9 month full time bare metal resto. would love to see yours next to mine someday.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #35
Quote from: thewestie;416739
love the color. I feel your pain when i did mine it started as a scuff and shoot to a 9 month full time bare metal resto. would love to see yours next to mine someday.

Thanks. I told myself the same thing at first, should have known myself better than that, lol. Once I'm in there, I can't help myself but to go all out.

If your ever down south, I frequent a lot of local car shows around the Charlotte area in my rides. Huge old car culture here, and these are great shows. I've met some really cool people at some of those, with some seriously immaculate rides. I'll be at the Charlotte Auto Fair next April in my TC for sure, wish you and everyone from the site could ride down to the show, would be nice to get to sit next to some other Fox Birds, instead of the the standard fox mustangs, and MN12 Birds I usually have to sit next to. I'll still be out there regardless next year though representing for Fox Birds.

Reply #36
wow that car is going to look good

Reply #37
That was a color I had in mind when I chosed paint for my T-bird, I love the old man gray look on these cars.
Please tell me you're going to paint the grill in the same gray too! :D

Reply #38
Great score on the almost NOS TC floglights...

There is a guy in Michigan selling the rear 1/4 glass...NOS ford....the pair...$550 seemed kinda steep...

Travis

Reply #39
Quote from: Thunderbird88;416789
That was a color I had in mind when I chosed paint for my T-bird, I love the old man gray look on these cars.
Please tell me you're going to paint the grill in the same gray too! :D

This is actually Fathom Green Metallic or Midnight Green Metallic, the color shifts between Dark Green/Grey depending on lighting. I really like the look as well. No grille on this car, this is the grilleless  88 model, it has a beak :), but yes everything will be painted in this same color. Going for a mostly stock sleeper vibe here. Hesitant to even put Cobra R's on it, but I just can't resist the pure shag of that particular rim, on my car.

Reply #40
Aaah, looks very gray! Sounds like an interesting color! And even better with a beak than a grille ;)
Oh yes Cobra R's! Do it! Or black chrome FR500's ;)

Reply #41
I vote for the Black Chrome FR500's :D That's what I want on my Bird, but the finance manager says I need Chrome.  lol

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #42
I do like those rims!, but I've already made the selection awhile ago and bought them as well, gonna run these for a year or so before I switch it up. This is the Silver/Polished Lip version of the Cobra R's. I think they fit this car better than the chrome version. These are near perfect right now and are fully clearcoated to protect the polished lip from corrosion, the two smudges on the outer lip edges are my fingerprints. These where fairly cheap rims at only $120 a pop at latemodelresto as well!

No wheel has permanent status with me, it won't be long afterward before I'm ready to switch it up again...:D

Reply #43
those will look good with that color

Reply #44
Not much free time currently, things are pretty hectic here right now, and I just bought a new toy (bike), but I'm getting her done painfully slowly none the less. Gotta love hours on end of contour sanding! Did I mention that I hate sanding? Reason why I became a Painter, and not a Bondo monkey. Can't wait until I can actually get to the exterior of the car, it will be like a vacation after this!

I really miss driving the car at this point, but I'm not going to rush anything whatsoever, everything has to be done 100% right here. Inspection for this car was back in April, (and the car is not road legal at this point), so I had to turn the tag back in this week to avoid being charged the $250 fine. Gonna get a custom tag this time. Were allowed 7 characters here, so I was thinking of going with "1BADBRD" , even though I know it has already been used and taken in some other places, I should be the only one around here with that tag. Best name I can think of considering what I'm going for here, but I'm open to suggestions. Oh yeah, I'm definitely clear coating the car now, I want the additional Depth and "Wet Look" for this awesome color.

DS Door 100% Rust-Free and Painted. The slight red you can see in the paint is just a reflection, from the still shiny red clearcoated rear quarter across from it. Should last for another 25 years easily.