Skip to main content
Topic: bumper paint. (Read 5441 times) previous topic - next topic

bumper paint.

what have you guys used to cover your bumpers? im looking too get rid of the yellow showing through and paint it from the belt down with black, and what kind of adhisive should i use for my TC badge in the door molding? just looking for suggestions and maybe some pictures of what they look like after the painting.

bumper paint.

Reply #1
I assume you are referring to the black strip on the bumpers.  There is specific paint available at most parts stores.  There are a few shades so make sure you get the right one. There are pics of my car in the header.  The body side mouldings and the strip on the bumper are all rattle can bumper paint. 

Not familiar with the badge on the door.  Two things come to mind:  Two sided tape (from a body shop, not a parts store) or silicone sealer.  Someone else may chime in with better ideas on that.

bumper paint.

Reply #2
3m double sided tape for the turbo badges, SEM bumper paint for the trim
 Jobber stores such as Car Quest, Federated, O'reilly  should be able to set you up
Fox-less at the moment

bumper paint.

Reply #3
thanks guys your a big help i have a buddy who works at macco here in federal way so ill have to give him a ring and see if he has some of that tape laying around. thanks for the reply!

bumper paint.

Reply #4
Quote from: boosted_chicken;322655
thanks guys your a big help i have a buddy who works at macco here in federal way so ill have to give him a ring and see if he has some of that tape laying around. thanks for the reply!

That is what I used to attach mine the last time I had them off. That 3m tape is very easy to use and very strong. It did start to sag and come loose a bit after 4 or 5 years but that is lasting quite a while for such an easy fixer, imo. I am trying out something different this time though, we'll see how that goes before I talk about it and cause you to mess anything up. :D

As far as paint.. if you aren't restoring for a factory look use whatever you like for the main colour coat. :) I'm using a Toyota black colour on mine and making it semi glossy (got a thread going about it). May not be everyone's cup 'o tea but I like it and she has never looked so good to me before, and that's all that matters. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'86 Turbo Thundercat (Cougarbird)
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

bumper paint.

Reply #5
Quote from: fluke;322658
That is what I used to attach mine the last time I had them off. That 3m tape is very easy to use and very strong. It did start to sag and come loose a bit after 4 or 5 years but that is lasting quite a while for such an easy fixer, imo. I am trying out something different this time though, we'll see how that goes before I talk about it and cause you to mess anything up. :D

As far as paint.. if you aren't restoring for a factory look use whatever you like for the main colour coat. :) I'm using a Toyota black colour on mine and making it semi glossy (got a thread going about it). May not be everyone's cup 'o tea but I like it and she has never looked so good to me before, and that's all that matters. :)

i like the stock look but i think im going to do some simple stuff to make it me. imm plannig on filming my fogs (the original stock fogs) yellow and then im going too go with a rattle can black from the belt down. im pretty much pro with a spray can see as im 18 and i spent some time painting walls. ;) maybe ill do some artwork. that would be awsome.

bumper paint.

Reply #6
Quote from: boosted_chicken;322704
i like the stock look but i think im going to do some simple stuff to make it me. imm plannig on filming my fogs (the original stock fogs) yellow and then im going too go with a rattle can black from the belt down. im pretty much pro with a spray can see as im 18 and i spent some time painting walls. ;) maybe ill do some artwork. that would be awsome.

I like the look of yellow fogs. Was going to do that to my Integra before I ended up selling it. Spray cans are awesome :) The new adjustable nozzle Duplicolor cans are sweet compared to the old ones too. Very smooth spray and can angle it how you want.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

bumper paint.

Reply #7
yeah those new cans really do rock. im going to do the yellow fogs real soon. i just cant find a place that sells yellow film. i guess in going to have too get it offline, and before i bought my TC i was driving a MKII vw jetta, im still a jetta freak always on the fourms. but the ford was there and its a preformer. :D

bumper paint.

Reply #8
I attached the turbo coupe logos using contact cement some days ago. Seems very strong and like it is going to hold just as well as the 3m tape of not better.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

bumper paint.

Reply #9
Quote from: fluke;323015
I attached the turbo coupe logos using contact cement some days ago. Seems very strong and like it is going to hold just as well as the 3m tape of not better.

good to know! im sure i have some rubber cement somewhere around here. thank you!