Skip to main content
Topic: GM Plans Quick Sale to Government (Read 3649 times) previous topic - next topic

GM Plans Quick Sale to Government

http://www.reuters.com/article/mergersNews/idUSN1943363120090519

eek. :eek: This might sound strange, but I'm suddenly fearing for Ford (precisely because they *didn't* take any bailout money).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #1
Think about this, GM shares were up 9%...

Ford is the only one that borrowed money with the intent of paying it back. Right now all the other auto manufacturers were looking for, quite literally, a bail out. I say let em burn. I'd say the same thing wither it was ford or toyota. I don't think we should be handing out money to people that aren't going to pay it back.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Think about this if GM falls in evil hands FOMOCO is next up because we got a few cool new rides.

Ford Flex
2010 Mustang
F150

*EDITED BY THUNDER CHICKEN* Enough with the politics, pimpster. You have already been warned.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #3
This is definitely not good news for those of us who own Gm vehicles.... especially if we need parts for them.
This isn't good for anyone in general..... this is a large corporation who is now looking at closing down. Yes, even if the government buys it...it's still possible for it to be closed down.

Rough roads ahead for everyone in this country..... it just starts with big business and goes from there.
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Reply #4
Seeing as how Ford is privately owned, please explain how you see that they're next simply because they got a few "cool" cars. 

Understanding what you read and pretending to are 2 VERY different things....

*EDITED BY THUNDER CHICKEN* Political stuff removed
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #5
Is this thread even possible to comment on without political comments? I think it should just be locked ;)

Reply #6
Never thought any of us would see the day that "rooted" company that used to be such a huge part of america would flop and incredibly enough be owned by the government. It frustrates me to see people looking at this as business as usual, simply accepting it. This whole thing just isn't right. I can only imagine what big brother actually has planned for its new acquisition and how it will effect other manufacturers, particularly ford. This is definitely going to be a WTF decade.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #7
Quote from: Haystack;273221
Think about this, GM shares were up 9%...

Ford is the only one that borrowed money with the intent of paying it back. Right now all the other auto manufacturers were looking for, quite literally, a bail out. I say let em burn. I'd say the same thing wither it was ford or toyota. I don't think we should be handing out money to people that aren't going to pay it back.

+1
Atleast I'm not loosing money if Ford fails. We should have never given money to GM or Chrysler and yes I do support American manufacturing. Chrysler was dead long before any of this  happened. My family has had cars from Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, and Toyota over the last 20 years. Do you know the only company whos cars have ped out or had major problems before 100,000 miles? Chrysler. They've pretty much built  since the mid 70s. This situation just gets more screwed up every day.

I will say this though. If Ford can ride out this storm out of the "BIG 3" it has the best chance of being the most profitable and best American car maker......
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
I say bring back the Model T.  It got over 20 mpg, looked cool, couldn't go fast enough to warrant the need for all these goofy safety requirements (which might slow us all down to a more common sense thinking level), and is a Ford product.

Only downfall the Model T has, is it likely won't meet the new fuel economy standards.
1987 TC