Skip to main content
Topic: door rust (bad dew wipes) (Read 4401 times) previous topic - next topic

door rust (bad dew wipes)

hello-  as a result bad dew wipes,  which i recently fixed,  i have some rust spots along the the path of the spot welds on the bottom of the interior side of the doors.  now that i have new dew wipes i'd like to fix the rust.  the rust is at or above the level of the spot welds.  it doesnt appear terrible.  there's no rust on the exterior side of the door skin.  I know if i simply address just the rust i see (that i described above),  my repair won't last too long since the problem originated inside the door.  how can deal with the rust on the inside of the door....being that it's so tight to work and see inside the door?

Reply #1
You got a pic of the rust you have?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2
i'll get some pics this week.    thanks once again!!

Reply #3
What are dew wipes? My clean doors are begining to rust again too.

Reply #4
the rubber that goes against the glass
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
So not to hijak, but how does a bad dew wipe lead to door rust at the bottom? Wouldn't the weep holes let whatever water got in out?

Reply #6
The weep holes usually get clogged with  that goes in the door, with the rain that doesn't get sealed out.
Leaves, dirt, salt, etc.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #7
Quote from: daminc;273149
salt, etc.....

The salt is the issue, doors don't rust out around here, but dew wipes fail just the same...

Reply #8
where did you get the dew wipes. i need some for my 83 bird with the wing windows.

Reply #9
Quote from: tomsbird1983;288932
where did you get the dew wipes. i need some for my 83 bird with the wing windows.

Read in the sticky section on this repair. Its a real good write up and has pictures also.  I just did it on my XR7 with vent windows, you can get them from JC Whitney. If you search my post there is a pic or two also. Its a very easy repair that looks 1000 times better when done