Skip to main content
Topic: GM to pull the plug on Pontiac (Read 9335 times) previous topic - next topic

GM to pull the plug on Pontiac

The brand credited with originating the muscle car will no longer be part of GM's future, according to a source.

By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney.com senior writer
Last Updated: April 24, 2009: 4:39 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Motors is preparing to announce that the Pontiac car brand, once marketed as GM's "Excitement division," will be killed off, according to a source familiar with the decision.

An official announcement is expected Monday. GM spokesman Jim Hopson declined to comment on Pontiac's fate, saying the automaker has no announcements to make at this time.

2008 GM Vehicle Sales
Chevrolet    1,801,131
GMC    376,996
Pontiac    267,348
Saturn    188,004
Cadillac    161,159
Buick    137,197
Hummer    27,485
Saab    21,368
Total    2,980,688
Source:General Motors

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/24/autos/pontiac_obit/index.htm?postversion=2009042414
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #1
Sounds like the only companies in GM that are thought should survive are Chevy, Buick, Cadillac and GMC. There were some people saying the Saturn Sky would be switched to the Cadillac name sake, and possibly a few others to switch teams. I think GM is a sinking ship.

Reply #3
I just heard a radio report stating this same thing.

This time the rumor might indeed be true. We'll see soon enough.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #4
Monday comes the official announcement.

*tick*    *tock*    *tick*    *tock*

Reply #5
I'd kill Saturn first.  Followed by pulling out of Saab and dropping Hummer.

Reply #6
Quote from: Grumbles;269067

X2

I won't miss Pontiac either

GM is the epitome of corporate inefficiency big bloated with too many brands doing the same thing and selling the same car with minor variations.  Slim down and maybe they survive.  I only need so many chances to buy the same basic car with a different badge and slightly different skin.

Reply #7
Anybody seen a Saturn lately?  Talk about boring.  I think GM had WAY too many brands to start with anyway.  And about Saab... I just noticed a few months ago that they made a Saab-badged Trailblazer clone... (like the Envoy, the late Bravada and Rainier)

Reply #8
Quote from: Grumbles;269067

They've already done that. All three are being sold or closed. Saab already has a number of potential buyers, and a consortium of Saturn dealers has joined with a private equity firm (think Cerberus LLC) to purchase Saturn. They will soon be an outlet for foreign made cars. This is where you'll see the Chinese cars.

And we'll find out today what the final word is on Pontiac.

GM is the epitome of corporate inefficiency big bloated with too many brands doing the same thing and selling the same car with minor variations.

The funny thing is, that is the exact relationship Ford has with Mercury.

Reply #9
The worst thing to happen to Saab was their being bought by GM....

All the originality of that brand was flushed down the toilet.  I remember the old 900 turbos.... Very cool cars.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #10
Absolutely true. And they're going to keep on being GM clones for a few years yet. The Saab 97x and 92x are perfect examples of GM turning them into a Scandinavian Chevy and Subaru.

Well, it's official. Pontiac is dead.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/27/officially-official-gm-kills-pontiac/

Reply #11
So much for the "niche" brand. :( Hopefully they will retain, I mean... "re-badge" the Solstice and G8...
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #12
I heard the G8 could become the Chevy Lumina and the Sky may become a Cadillac.

Reply #13
wow,  better hold onto your gto's!!!! Theyll be worth a heck of a lot more now......
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #14
Nope. No pontiacs will survive. Holden will stop building the G8 for export by the end of the year (no RWD Impala) and the Kappa Solstice is dead as well, though we knew that nearly a year ago, not to mention the Vibe will not be making the move to Chevrolet dealers either.