Skip to main content
Topic: 86 Tbird "restoration" (Read 557 times) previous topic - next topic

86 Tbird "restoration"

X

X

X

Since I couldn't even sell the car for $100 or trade for wheels or even other bits I could use on my 82 Cougar wagon I decided that it's time to do a "restoration" of the 86 Bird.  I got it from the original local owner and I'm only missing the warrentee plate.  I'll have to ask her if she's still got it.

Since cosmetics will be last I won't really post anything nor will I have a restoration thread.  But from time to time I'll post progress and I'll tell you it'll be slow.

But here's the list of known repairs necessary not in any particular order:

1.  Heater core
2.  Air conditioner HP hose.  What's nice it's already 134a compliant but the HP hose has a leak.
3.  Must have a new radio, the old factory radio is toast.
5.  Need a new headliner, I'll do that myself.  Easy.
6.  Need a new set of visors.  The old ones are in my Cougar Wagon.
7.  It has an annoying rattle when coming up off idle.  It's not cat heat shields as I already fixed that.  Maybe a broken cat?
8.  Rear seat torn.  Needs to be sewn.
9.  Paint.  Although the color coat is good the clear is bad and peeling.  To bad as repaints are a bit pricey.
10.  Tires are absolutely bad and dry rotted.  New ones last but not before refinishing the poly cast wheels.  I kinda like those but they sure are heavy.
11.  Chattering passenger door lock.  I'm wondering if it can be repaired.
12.  The ever present arm rest/map pocked loose from the door panel.  Very annoying and hard to fix.  My 85 Cougar was the same way.
13. Sway bar bushings and end links.
14. Rear shocks.  I don't think they shock at all anymore.

First order of buisness is a compression check to evaluate the 107,000 mile 3.8.  I really do dislike that engine but I'll stick with it as it does run good now.  Hopefully will get buy with a really good tune up including new wires.

Once that's done a thorough degreasing is in order.  What a mess.  I do know the valve covers are leaking pretty bad but I'm not sure of the rear main.  There is dripping on to the exhaust pipe.  It's interesting that it drips very little on the ground unless it's parked with the rear higher than the front.  Then I get both oil and tranny fluid on the ground.  Tail low is OK and level is OK.  I think the tranny dip stick tube is dripping.

The good part is all the lights work,  the tranny has 7,000 miles on it and the brakes including master cylinder have only 2,000 miles.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com