Skip to main content
Topic: I turn the key, but nuttin' happens (Read 2880 times) previous topic - next topic

I turn the key, but nuttin' happens

So I finally got the 428W close to the point where I can fire it up.

I primed the oil pump, then decided to ensure the starter would turn over the engine - just to make sure the battery I've been trickle-charging since last year has what it takes, ensure the mini-starter/wiring is in decent enough shape to spin a 10.7:1 compression motor & make sure the Quicktime SFI bell and starter are compatible. Turned over nicely.

Then I decided I'd prime the fuel system & check for leaks in the 15 new fittings. I turn the key and nothing - the rod seems to have become disengaged as I don't even feel the spring for the starter switch. The only thing I've done is loosen the 4 bolts holding the column up so I could shift the steering shaft away from the header a bit (had to dent header as well.) Seems unlikely that could have hurt anything. Any ideas? Is this a common occurrence or has anybody else run into this issue? The steering wheel locks as normal when I turn to the off position and remove the key. I figured I'd ask before I start taking it apart tomorrow morning...
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #1
Might have bumped the shifter out of p or n. This wouldnt let it start. Could have just popped one detent when you dropped the column or messed with stuff there.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
X

The gift that keeps on giving. I had replaced this already I think. I used a c-clamp to close it back up. And yes, I made sure the ball-bearing was properly in place.

Anybody know which side HEGO ground goes to which side of the engine? No worries, I'll have Googled it before you can answer. :)

Oh, and I realize this is in the wrong forum, can move to electrical ...

Want to add that I cycled the key a few times, fuel system maintained 38 psi for 10 min, good sign :)

Reply #3
Slight chance you may need a new ignition switch.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
For less than 20 bucks, might not be a bad idea to buy two.

Or spring for the 31 dollar Motorcraft switch.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
Quote from: Tbird232ci;463001
For less than 20 bucks, might not be a bad idea to buy two.

Or spring for the 31 dollar Motorcraft switch.

I don't know what I bought last time, or if I just repaired it, it's a py design - there's nothing wrong with it other than the metal shell with the retaining fingers seems to have a TCE mismatch with the polymer piece. Like I said above, I just squeezed the fingers shut with a c-clamp and it works fine again.

Besides, this cheap  can't find his security bit to remove the ed thing. :hick:

Reply #6
Vise grips or a dremel tool.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #7
Quote from: Aerocoupe;463015
Vise grips or a dremel tool.

Yup, I've used vice grips... Screw is tall enough to get a small pair locked on to head...

Reply #8
Quote from: Cougar5.0;463010

Besides, this cheap  can't find his security bit to remove the ed thing. :hick:

427W: Sure I'll spend the money it's a deal!

Torx bit: $3? Too expensive. I can't afford that.

You sound like me :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #9
Quote from: thunderjet302;463021
427W: Sure I'll spend the money it's a deal!

Torx bit: $3? Too expensive. I can't afford that.

You sound like me :hick:

:shakeass: Indeed. :hick:

Reply #10
I think the last time I replaced a switch, I also wrapped two zip ties around it to make me feel better.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #11
I'm buying a new torx bit cuz I can't find the one I used when I last replaced this switch.

I'm annoyed that I'm just going to keep buying a py design over and over again, the switch I have is in good shape, other than the moronic retention system.

Reply #12
Scott (jcassity) had a post where he ran a bunch of relays between the ignition switch and the load carrying wires. That's something id like to do as well. I replaced the ignition switch on my car 6 months ago. Last week it started acting up again, this time the wires are melted.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #13
I think the wires melted in my '83. Worst design ever, and getting a free one on a recall doesn't guarantee anything.

Reply #14
JB Weld the two halves together :hick: