Skip to main content
Topic: I turn the key, but nuttin' happens (Read 2894 times) previous topic - next topic

I turn the key, but nuttin' happens

Reply #15
You have a lot more patience than I do.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #16
You have way more patience that I do.

Oh, and I bought this at HD - $10 - worth it.

X

This should hold for a while.

Reply #17
Even when I bought the new switch, there was some play in it - I figured no big deal.

It worked it's way loose after a few years:

XX

I closed it back up using a vice clamping at two different angles; but I wonder how long it will stay closed?

X

I'll likely add a zip tie or two just as insurance. Starting to wonder if I should drill and tap some tiny screws on the side of each metal tab and into the plastic to hold it together?

On edit, in the first photo, notice how the cheesy pot metal actually bent away from the plastic over a fair distance from where the tab is? What a stupid, inadequate design (as a mechanical engineer, it kind of makes me livid to be honest.) Then again, so does Ford not acknowledging the nearly 100% failure rate of stereo systems in the relatively new Ford Focus' and a couple other models.

Reply #18
I'd just screw it together, if possible. That or make a little "L bracket" out of sheet metal and epoxy it between the pot metal and the plastic.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #19
we used lacing chord to hold my son's together.
got a call from him one day when he broke down and coasted into a parking lot at C'ville VA.

He called me all proud of himself describing how he had the ign sw just fall apart when driving.

he used a bundle stich on each end using 12 chord used to lace power cables on a cable rack (telecom stuff). 

still holding strong.  his car also has the relay mods for only run and accy.  when his fell apart, power was lost to the slave relays.

I deleted the torx screws in trade for self tapping hex screws.  I had no desire to keep that design only to be boxed into special tool needs later.