Skip to main content
Topic: Long tube headers and a 5 speed.....question (Read 4227 times) previous topic - next topic

Long tube headers and a 5 speed.....question

Reply #15
Quote from: vinnietbird;463391
The headers are on. Actually easy to install. I did have to unbolt the motor mounts from the crossmember and lift the engine about two inches to install them, but no big deal. They seem fine except for one thing, maybe it's normal, maybe not.....the car feels like there's a bit more vibration in the floor. It may be the way it is with long tubes as opposed to the shorty headers. It feels like there's a bit more torque down low. I'm going to do a tune up, then see what she can do.

If the headers are close to the floor they may be hitting it slightly. Probably where the vibration is coming from.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #16
Vinnie,

I hate to say it but you are getting to the point that you need a chip and some dyno time.  You might just be surprised at the gains.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #17
Quote from: Aerocoupe;463408
Vinnie,

I hate to say it but you are getting to the point that you need a chip and some dyno time.  You might just be surprised at the gains.

+1

I'll be doing the same in the spring of 2018.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #18
I agree. I was just talking about that yesterday. Tune time coming up next year. The car is as far as I really want to go with it as far as drivetrain is concerned. I want to get back to doing some interior work, swapping seats, and carpet, and detailing a bit, but the engine and trans are good enough for me at this point.

As far as touching, I can't find one single place that the exhaust is touching. The search will continue. The vibration is (or what I'm calling a vibration) is hard to explain. Maybe it's a sound vibration? I'll see what else I can find. I'll check the K-Member a bit more. Motor mount bolts, etc.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #19
My guess is NVH in that the exhaust ishiznitting a certain frequency and it is getting something on the car to act like a tuning fork.  Does it do this at idle, certain RPM range, or certain speed?  When in doubt get a louder stereo.

I cannot hear any vibrations over the exhaust on My Bird or my Coupe but that is just how they sound with an X-pipe, no cats, and good parts.

Reply #20
Quote from: Aerocoupe;463408
Vinnie,

I wouldnt even waste the money on that.  Time to step up to current technology and just go stand alone!  My EFI Source plug nplay Microsquirt was the best $450 I spent on my car. I have talked 4 other friends into converting and helped them with the setup and tuning and they all love it.
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger
83 TC  gt40p motor,Vortech,TFS1 cam,long tubes,MS PnP,T5,8.8,17x9 Cobra 17s

Reply #21
If you are geared that way. Some of us just don't want to mess with it and we are not constantly messing with the tune. My Couoe has an SCT switch chip and it works for me. When I build the turbo Coyote it will get dyno tuned and that will be it.

If you like messing with the tune and "get" how to do it and have a wide band and are willing to work through the data logging then hell yes it's the way to go.

Reply #22
The exhaust feel is mostly once I hit the gas. Not so much at idle. I checked again today. Nothing touching anywhere. Not too worried about it at this point. I'll adapt, and eventually, never notice it. LOL.

As far as a tune, I'm in no hurry for that at this time. The car is running strong, and idles pretty good. I don't want to add anything else that I can think of to the engine or drivetrain that I can think of, but I do want all I can get out of what I have.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..