Skip to main content
Topic: wtb: shift linkage bracket (Read 485 times) previous topic - next topic

wtb: shift linkage bracket

I got a 86 cougar with a colum shift, with a 3.8 and a aod. i just put it all back together after sitting for 6 years and i cant find a shifter bracket. it bolts to the bottom of the bellhousing on the trans and then the rod from the shift linkage sits in a hole in the bracket. where the hole is there is a bushing there. if any bdy has one i would appricate it. i work for ford and ive tried to get one but its no longer avalible. next step if i cant find one is make one.

Reply #1
well now you make me wish i had pull that peice LOL good luck finding it

Reply #2
i cant find anything and nobody has one, no junk yard sor anything. looks like im gonna have to fab something up

Reply #3
Quote from: stevensscougar;327058
i cant find anything and nobody has one, no junk yard sor anything. looks like im gonna have to fab something up

I have read somewhere that you can look on various Ford, Lincoln and Mercury RWD models and not limit yourself to just Tbirds and Cougars with a floor shift. I do know the Mark VII's use cable floor shifters since I am using one. I believe later model Crown Vics and Grand Marquis use a cable shifter for the coulumn shift so it would be worth checking out to see if that bracket will work.

However what I ended up doing was making my own bracket with a hardware store L bracket and I used a stainless steel hose clamp to secure the large cable housing end to that bracket. It's makeshift I know but it works until you can find a real one. And instead of going to the trouble of removing the shift lever from the transmission and turning it around so it will move in the right direction, I just took the long rod that was there for the  column shifter and flipped it around so that it runs to the rear of the car instead of the front then I made it connect to the end of my shift cable. The shift cable end itself I turned around so that the end is in the direction of the rear of the car so that park is park and drive is drive.

Reply #4
I have one with a shifter assembly would be willing to seperate if the price is right, Pm me an offer
John

Reply #5
pm sent

Reply #6
I think I misread the whole post here... I was assuming he wanted a shifter bracket for a floor shifter... I just gutted all the column shifter parts from my car just a couple of weeks ago and discarded them, because ya know who wants parts for a coulumn shifter... LOL!  I would have been willing to make such a donation too!

Reply #7
dam that sucks. i would convert it to floor shift but i just wanna get it running asap. im hoping to start it tonight for the first time in five years