Skip to main content
Topic: 1987 Cougar XR-7 Thoughts, opinions, feedback please. (Read 4859 times) previous topic - next topic

1987 Cougar XR-7 Thoughts, opinions, feedback please.

Reply #15
Quote from: MY83T;429275
TAs far as i can tell, it only is missing the factory EQ, and Sunroof.  Here are some pics, i need to decide today/tomorrow so all thoughts are welcome......

It's also missing the EATC, that and sun roof(Moonroof) would reasons to stay away from it, you got lucky...

Looks like a nice car...

Quote from: MY83T;429389
Just as an aside, i will have 2 silver foxes with Blue interiors......what are the odds?

I'd guess most silvers had blue, but we've probably all seen red & black...

Reply #16
That is a really nice 87 XR7.  Buy it drive it and most importantly have fun with it...those leather seats are awesome....fox tbird/cougars just drive so nice.

Travis

Reply #17
I wish my Sport had the manual HVAC and no moonroof....I hate the shiznit.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #18
X2.

Half the reason I bought my cougar is because its almost a stripper model.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #19
Ok guys, just walked in the door, drove an hour + getting her home.  Here are my overall impressions of the car.

The Good:

1. Drove like a brand new car.
2. Car was as nice or nicer than described by the seller.
3. Shifted tightly and perfectly.
4. Heat was awesome
5. Stereo is all stock and sounded perfect with the cassette adapter for my iPod.
6. Power everything worked perfectly.
7. Leather is perfect, near flawless, lumbars worked perfectly.
8. Gauges were spot on, speedo was in perfect sync with the speed on my GPS.
9. Not a single rattle or squeak on the inside.
10. Doors opened and closed perfectly and with a solid thud.
11. All weather strip is perfect, i mean PERFECT, window sweeps, felts etc.
12. Beltline moldings were flawless and the chrome strips were perfect, no oxidation anywhere.
13. Rims are super clean, no rash.
14. Alignment was near perfect, car drove laser straight.
15. Cruise Control was flawless.
16. Trunk is mint, has rubber mat also! :-)
17. Console plate is perfect and intact, no lifting and no screws through it to make it flat.
18. Perfect Headliner, carpet, floor mats, and vanity mirrors.  Dash looks like showroom new, door pulls are tight and perfect, and rear package tray is perfect. Interior has almost no discernible fading.

The Bad

1. Rearview Mirror needs to be re-silvered
2. Seat belt receiver plastic is toast as with all these cars.
3. Needs a new power antenna, works ok, just won't go up and down.
4. tiny crack in plastic trim above the passenger door where it meets the headliner
5. One tine nickel sized rust spot, (no rot) on the passenger rear quarter just above the moldings.
6. One horribly touched up scratch on passenger door, with the wrong color silver touch up paint pen.
7. Hood light wiring was torn out at some point.
8. Cougar Trunk badge is missing. XR-7 Badge is fine.

Overall i would say that this car rates this way:

Overall a solid 8 of 10

Paint 7 1/2

Interior 9

Mechanical 9

cool factor 15 +

Here are few snaps with my iPhone on the way home near the local Mercedez Dealership.  (They have good light)

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #20
Cool car man. you need a user rides thread with lots of pics
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #21
Quote from: Haystack;429481
Cool car man. you need a user rides thread with lots of pics

+1
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #22
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;429451
It's also missing the EATC, that and sun roof(Moon Roof) would reasons to stay away from it, you got lucky...

Looks like a nice car...

I've never had a problem with the EATC in my Thunderbird. I've got some spare parts just in case though ;).

The moon roof yeah I hate those. My Mark VII has one. The SOB leaked till I went through it and cleaned all the drains out. That took a whole Saturday. Plus the motor sometime decides it doesn't want to work anymore. I should have waited for one without a moon roof but hey it was cheap :hick:.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #23
What I hated about the eatc was setting the heater up EVERY TIME I took the key out of the ignition. quick trip to the gas station, get back in and its reset to 70* and turns the ac on in the middle of winter.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #24
Very nice car, good score.

Reply #25
Dave spun by my house last night and I saw this gem in person.  Very solid car.  I was impressed with how whisper quiet it was running.  I had forgotten how quiet they are in stock form.  I'm not just talking exhaust note, but from under the hood as well.  NOTHING.  Congrats Dave!  What lot is that where you stopped to take pictures?

Quote from: Haystack;429495
What I hated about the eatc was setting the heater up EVERY TIME I took the key out of the ignition. quick trip to the gas station, get back in and its reset to 70* and turns the ac on in the middle of winter.

Mine has never done that.  It will flash every once in a blue moon and after warming up will be fine.  Other than that it's been good to me in all the years I've had it.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #26
That's a good looking ride! Congrats on the purchase. Nice to see a well taken care of car going to someone that will take just as much care and enjoy it.

Reply #27
Quote from: V8Demon;429514
Dave spun by my house last night and I saw this gem in person.  Very solid car.  I was impressed with how whisper quiet it was running.  I had forgotten how quiet they are in stock form.  I'm not just talking exhaust note, but from under the hood as well.  NOTHING.  Congrats Dave!  What lot is that where you stopped to take pictures?

Mine has never done that.  It will flash every once in a blue moon and after warming up will be fine.  Other than that it's been good to me in all the years I've had it.

Thanks Guys, for all the great responses and feedback!  Paulie, that is the Mercedes dealership on Sunrise HWY in Rockville Centre, brand new and great lighting.....

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #28
Very nice looking ride!

Reply #29
Quote from: MY83T;429477
Ok guys, just walked in the door, drove an hour + getting her home.  Here are my overall impressions of the car.

The Good:

1. Drove like a brand new car.
2. Car was as nice or nicer than described by the seller.
3. Shifted tightly and perfectly.
4. Heat was awesome
5. Stereo is all stock and sounded perfect with the cassette adapter for my iPod.
6. Power everything worked perfectly.
7. Leather is perfect, near flawless, lumbars worked perfectly.
8. Gauges were spot on, speedo was in perfect sync with the speed on my GPS.
9. Not a single rattle or squeak on the inside.
10. Doors opened and closed perfectly and with a solid thud.
11. All weather strip is perfect, i mean PERFECT, window sweeps, felts etc.
12. Beltline moldings were flawless and the chrome strips were perfect, no oxidation anywhere.
13. Rims are super clean, no rash.
14. Alignment was near perfect, car drove laser straight.
15. Cruise Control was flawless.
16. Trunk is mint, has rubber mat also! :-)
17. Console plate is perfect and intact, no lifting and no screws through it to make it flat.
18. Perfect Headliner, carpet, floor mats, and vanity mirrors.  Dash looks like showroom new, door pulls are tight and perfect, and rear package tray is perfect. Interior has almost no discernible fading.

The Bad

1. Rearview Mirror needs to be re-silvered
2. Seat belt receiver plastic is toast as with all these cars.
3. Needs a new power antenna, works ok, just won't go up and down.
4. tiny crack in plastic trim above the passenger door where it meets the headliner
5. One tine nickel sized rust spot, (no rot) on the passenger rear quarter just above the moldings.
6. One horribly touched up scratch on passenger door, with the wrong color silver touch up paint pen.
7. Hood light wiring was torn out at some point.
8. Cougar Trunk badge is missing. XR-7 Badge is fine.

Overall i would say that this car rates this way:

Overall a solid 8 of 10

Paint 7 1/2

Interior 9

Mechanical 9

cool factor 15 +

Here are few snaps with my iPhone on the way home near the local Mercedez Dealership.  (They have good light)

Nice!!!!!!!