Skip to main content
Topic: Tail light socket info needed..... (Read 8390 times) previous topic - next topic

Tail light socket info needed.....

Reply #45
For the red and black wires, are you talking of the ones on the modules or the other two that are separate?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #46
O.K., not using them.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #47
It's is slowly getting clearer....still foggy, but getting there.

Reply #48
Quote from: flylear45;425072
Look at post 26 and it tells what to do with red and black. You will put a ring terminal on black and screw it onto a good ground to ground the module electronics. VERY IMPORTANT, don't skip it!

Red powers the module and ties into the LG/O wire on the INNER (your middle) socket.

By moving the middle to the inner you are using less wires than you would have to otherwise. Just trust me on this one.

True, switching sockets around can make the wiring cleaner.
Positioning the sequencer module near the sockets in the trunk will save extending the wires also.

Now how I understand the wiring is this....

The turn signal wire from the original harness in the trunk goes to the Green wire on the sequencer (the control wire), LG/O for the left side and O/LB for the right.

The blue wire from the sequencer goes to the outside tail lamp socket
The white wire from the sequencer goes to the middle socket
The red wire from the sequencer goes to the inside socket.
Black from the sequecer and all three of the sockets go to ground.
(Refering to the picture in post #16)

The brown from all the sockets goes to the brown running light wire in the vehicle harness.

Reply #49
What do you mean the turn signal wire from the original harness?

Reply #50
Quote from: flylear45;425074
None. All the work is in the trunk unless you want to get fancy.

I would not use them. I would do it as it comes in the burst mode.

I don't need "fancy"....just functional. The Burst mode is fine as well. I want this to be simple. So, Flylear....One more time....

Do I just follow what you stated on post 26?

Also, do I swap socket positions?

Also, with the new socket, it goes brown wire to brown wire...black wire to black wire, then the sequencer goes to the power wire?

Do I tap into the wires before the lights in the harness (like where the spare is kept)? So many posts have kind of complicated this.

Reply #51
I'm modding the tail light housings now to replace the inner sockets with the twist in brake light sockets.

Reply #52
Quote from: hwy73;425079
True, switching sockets around can make the wiring cleaner.
Positioning the sequencer module near the sockets in the trunk will save extending the wires also.

Now how I understand the wiring is this....

The turn signal wire from the original harness in the trunk goes to the Green wire on the sequencer (the control wire), LG/O for the left side and O/LB for the right.

The blue wire from the sequencer goes to the outside tail lamp socket
The white wire from the sequencer goes to the middle socket
The red wire from the sequencer goes to the inside socket.
Black from the sequecer and all three of the sockets go to ground.
(Refering to the picture in post #16)

The brown from all the sockets goes to the brown running light wire in the vehicle harness.

No. There are two modules, one for each side of the car. It's just like I said in post 26.  The GREEN wire from the module  IS NOT USED FOR ANYTHING.  If you refer to the schematic for the module it becomes clearer. I had to do a double take on it earlier also.

Reply #53
Quote from: vinnietbird;425082
I don't need "fancy"....just functional. The Burst mode is fine as well. I want this to be simple. So, Flylear....One more time....

Do I just follow what you stated on post 26?

Also, do I swap socket positions?

Also, with the new socket, it goes brown wire to brown wire...black wire to black wire, then the sequencer goes to the power wire?

Do I tap into the wires before the lights in the harness (like where the spare is kept)? So many posts have kind of complicated this.

Yes, it sounds like you have it now.

Yes, swap middle to inner, and tap it with the RED wire.

Put the new socket in the middle and splice the brownto brown and black to black together where the old one came out. Then hook the WHITE from module into the socket power wire for stop/turn.

Cut the LG/O to the outer socket and hook the BLUE wire to that wire in the socket, LG/O.
 Put some tape on the cutoff end of the LG/O wire left on the harness, it will be hot when brakes are pressed!

Use a blue Scotchlok wiretap on the inner RED to LG/O. Use butt splices on the WHITE and BLUE ones. Tape on the outer LG/O where it was cut off. Use a ring terminal on the BLACK from the module to a good ground.

Sorry for leaving you, but I had to meet a guy that is buying my old Chevy truck.

Reply #54
No apologies. You have a life. LOL.

As far as cutting the power wire (LG/O), That is the power wire going into the driver side outer socket from the harness.....right? And the harness end gets taped up, and the module wire takes it's place? On the two modules...ring terminals, ground to the body.

I THINK i can do this now. LOL. We'll see in the morning. I'm hoping to have both housings done tonight and ready for install tomorrow.

If I can pull this off, I'm totally sending you a polished throttle body.....seriously.

Reply #55
And yes Vinnie all this is done right next to the sockets themselves in the trunk area.  Nothing else to do up front.  Just cut the wires leaving room to connect with butt splices.

So, leave a few inches on the donor socket wires, make the cut a few inches away from the socket on the outer. You will use the wire from the socket there, not the wire on the other side of it.

If your donor socket has an extra wire on the LG/O it won't matter, just strip them both and twist together, or use either one. It won't matter since they both go to the same place.

Easy-peasy.

Reply #56
Quote from: vinnietbird;425088
No apologies. You have a life. LOL.

As far as cutting the power wire (LG/O), That is the power wire going into the driver side outer socket from the harness.....right? And the harness end gets taped up, and the module wire takes it's place? On the two modules...ring terminals, ground to the body.

I THINK i can do this now. LOL. We'll see in the morning. I'm hoping to have both housings done tonight and ready for install tomorrow.

If I can pull this off, I'm totally sending you a polished throttle body.....seriously.

Correct on the wire. Understand that BOTH sockets get that power wire, middle and outer on a system sentry car. Only the outer gets cut.

The middle one (that gets moved to the inner) gets that RED module wire attached to the LG/O (power) with a wire tap. You don't have to even cut that one.

And no, it's no big deal. I've seen you help many guys here. I like being able to help a brother out.

Besides this should help anyone else who wants to do the mod.

Reply #57
Sorry Vinnie, I had to bug out for a spell too.  I should have been more clear that there is a sequencer module for each, side, the procedure is repeated for each side.
Vin, when I say the original harness in the car, I am refering to the tail light harness in the trunk, before it reaches the tail lamps.  Basically, you are intercepting the voltage coming from the turn signal flasher up front, in the trunk harness and directing it to the seq. module on each side before the tail lights. As flylear45 said, the module does it thing and flashes the lights in sequential order instead of all at once.

The extra loose wires in the kit I believe are to either enable or disable the "one sequence burst" when you step on the brake.

Vinnie, if you would like I will call you, sometimes it makes more sense when you can have a conversation.

Reply #58
This is a Scotch-lock tap.

X

One side goes over the LG/O wire on the middle (moved to inner) wire, the RED goes in the other side. When you squish it it makes a connection between the two wires without cutting.

First squish the metal part down in flush, then snap the locking connecter over top of it.

Reply #59
Thanks a lot. I will report in as soon as possible tomorrow. I'm staying up wicked late tonight to get the housings ready so I can bolt them on in the morning and start wiring it all together.

I do appreciate your help a lot, and may need more before it's over. Hopefully this will handle it just fine.