Skip to main content
Topic: Tail light socket info needed..... (Read 8390 times) previous topic - next topic

Tail light socket info needed.....

Reply #15
X

You will use the 3 wires from the module to go to the respective sockets, splicing them onto the old LG/O or O/LB.

Brown will go to brown, since you still want to keep the running lights in the new sockets.

If I was doing it I would ground the module's ground wire to a ground on the car body. I like to give electronic devices a clean ground path.

Remember to reconnect the ground wire at the socket you are adding. For that use the old black wire.

Reply #16
So I hook up the black and brown wire from the running light plug to the black and brown wire of the "new" plug, then run the third wire where?

ALSO...It states in the instructions that the inner light housing, once changed to the new socket, moves to the middle position, then the middle socket moves to the inner position.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #17
Then the "power" wire to the "new" socket will just hook to the sequencer and that's it?

Also, whin splicing into the wires for power (orange or green), if there are two, does it matter which one?

By the way, I REALLY appreciate your time and help.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #18
Quote from: vinnietbird;425043
So I hook up the black and brown wire from the running light plug to the black and brown wire of the "new" plug, then run the third wire where?

Yes, exactly!

ALSO...It states in the instructions that the inner light housing, once changed to the new socket, moves to the middle position, then the middle socket moves to the inner position.

That part is up to you. You will be cutting the wire that used to go from the outer socket to the repeater. You can put the new socket wherever is most convenient. Then just run the appropriate wire from the module to splice in to the corresponding socket.

blue wire to the outside socket LG/O, white wire to middle LG/O, red to inner LG/O

You must cut the old LG/O wires off first you see.

Reply #19
EDIT........senior moment

Reply #20
not getting what you mean on that last post.

1. Are you stating that the inner light, thte one that is changing sockets, could stay in the inner position as long as it has the right sequencer wire going to it?

2.Not sure what you mean by cut the old LG/O wire off.......Then there would be nothing to tie in to.

3. "Cutting the wire that used to go from the outer socket to the repeater"....Outer socket wire gets cut?

You had me, then lost me. LOL.

Reply #21
I'll wait. LOL

Reply #22
OK, panic over. LOL I see that you have two modules with this, correct?

That will be fine then. I had a senior moment.

When you cut off the wires you will be leaving enough wire on the socket to splice into.

Are you going to use scotch-locs or something else to do the tie-in?

Reply #23
If you have two LG/O wires on a socket, is it the outer or middle?

Mine only have a single wire since they are on a car with the lamp-out warning. If your car is a non system sentry it will have the two wires, but I don't have one here to look at. You need to look at yours to tell me.

Reply #24
If you have system sentry it will not matter since power splits and comes independently to each socket via the LG/O wires.

I guess we should have started there. That's probably causing you confusion.

Reply #25
WITH system sentry,  Start by cutting off the 2 wire inner socket leaving enough BROWN and BLACK wire at the car harness to splice another socket onto.

1. Take the middle socket and use it in the inner. Put a blue scotch-lock on it and tie in to the LG/O wire and the RED wire from the module (just doing LH side here)

2. Take a harvested 3 (or 4 wire it doesn't matter) socket and re-connect the black and brown wires on it to the same colors on the harness where you cut off the 2 wire socket.

3. Now splice the remaining wire (lg/o) that is on this socket with the WHITE wire on the module.

4. CUT the LG/O wire at the outer socket (leaving some wire to work with) and splice the  LG/O wire from THE SOCKET onto the BLUE wire from the module.
Put tape on the LG/O wire on the harness side. It is not used

5. Ground the black wire from the module onto a good body ground.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without system sentry: Start by cutting off the 2 wire inner socket leaving enough BROWN and BLACK wire at the car harness to splice another socket onto.

1. Cut both LG/O wires on the outer socket, leaving enough wire on the socket side to splice onto later.

2. Tie the 2 HARNESS SIDE LG/O wires together and in with the RED wire from the  module.  (This will now feed the middle light and be used in the inner location.)

3.  Take the middle socket and use it in the inner.

4. Take a harvested 3 (or 4 wire it doesn't matter) socket and re-connect the black and brown wires on it to the same colors on the car harness where you cut the 2-wire socket off

5. splice the remaining wire (lg/o) that is on that socket with the WHITE wire on the module.

6.  Now take either one or both of the LG/O wires you previously cut on the outer socket and connect to the BLUE wire from the module.

For the right side, just use the O/LB wire and do the same thing you did with the LG/O wire on the left side

Tail Lamp Wiring Diagrams

Reply #26
From the 88 EVTM.......................

Reply #27
That's just for running lights. Two wires: One Brown for power and one Black for ground on each socket.

Trn Signal Diagram

Reply #28
....and the Turn Signals

Reply #29
Yes, this shows why a system sentry car has a single signal wire to each of the rear sockets as opposed to a non system sentry car which has two wires; one signal wire coming IN to the outer socket from the front of the car and a second wire going OUT to the middle socket lamp.

Thanks for those hwy 73. That's what I am working off of and for anyone comfortable reading schematics will help show what I'm going on about.

Here's the schematic for Vinnies sequencer:

X