Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 EFI Engine Harness Wiring Question (Read 3597 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0 EFI Engine Harness Wiring Question

Reply #15
From the 85 EVTM:
The 4 pin connector for the 3.8L V6 idle speed control motor wires are:
BK/W (signal return for the EEC sensors)
Y/BK
W/LB
LG/W

Does this match your "female" connector?

Reply #16
He said the connector was on the 86 ecu harness... i have one in the shop, and there is no connector like that on mine... I couldn't even find those wires on the harness and
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #17
Hoping a few more pictures may help to clarify.  The engine computer harness leading from the computer, through the firewall, runs across the length of the firewall from the passenger side of the car to the driver's side.  This particular harness is out of a 1986 Cougar EFI 5.0 car, I think this harness was a one off for this year and was then slightly modified for the 87/88 cars.

Reply #18
As you follow the harness to the driver's side, it terminates at several different connectors that mate to the chassis harness behind the black plastic cover around the stater solenoid and ignition coil.  In my photos, I have the wires exposed and pulled out of the loom due to trying to find where the loose black wire goes.  The connector in question has a red arrow on it in the last pic.

Reply #19
I dont have that connector on any of my harnesses
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #20
Quote from: daminc;459308
I dont have that connector on any of my harnesses

So ... the plot thickens ... thanks for taking a look!

Reply #21
Well, I was able to answer my own question to some degree.  Managed to find another '86 5.0L EFI Cougar that was relatively new to a somewhat "local" UPull It yard.  So ... I pulled myself a spare engine harness ... and ... it has the exact same connector with a black wire that goes nowhere.

Reply #22
was it plugged into anything? or does it look like it was?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #23
It was plugged into the corresponding 4 pin connector, but that particular wire did not lead anywhere.  It doesn't appear that it ever did either.  It looks just like mine ... same length and a clean cut/termination like someone just cut it with a pair of cutters.  I decided to just shrink wrap the end of mine and then tape it to the other wires running to that connector ... just odd as there is a wire in the corresponding connector and you'd figured they wouldn't bother putting a wire in if it wasn't going to lead to anything.