Skip to main content
Topic: Android or iPhone? (Read 4965 times) previous topic - next topic

Android or iPhone?

Hey guys,

I'm gonna be eligible to upgrade to a better smart phonesoon and am trying to decide if I should get a Samsung Galaxy S IIi, or wait for the iPhone 5 to come out.  Does anyone here have experience with both Android phones and iPhones to give an opinion on which way they'd recommend going?

I'm self-employed.  The phone will be a lynch pin for my business, so I want to choose wisely.  Thanks for any feedback!
William

Android or iPhone?

Reply #1
I've been hooked on Android and I love it, I have an ipod touch which is very similar to what an iphone is and I would go Android anyday. btw I have the droid Razr

Android or iPhone?

Reply #2
Just curious; what is it about Androids you like better?  :)
William

Android or iPhone?

Reply #4
If you don't want Apple telling you what you can and can't do, go Android.  If it's business and you need reliable and less fragile, go Blackberry.  I don't even care if I catch heat for recommending BB.  I've got a torch 9850, it's touchscreen and I don't have to piss myself if I drop it.  It's not as cutting edge as an iPhone 4s or a droid Razr or a Galaxy IIIs, but it gets it done every time.  Just sayin.

Android or iPhone?

Reply #5
You might as well post:  pen 15e or Pepsi, Ps3 or xbox 360 lol.. each phone has it good and bad points.  So to answer your question I think either or,  if you like apple products than get the iPhone,  if you hate apple products than get the android.  They both do the same stuff in my opinion.

Personally I've had every iPhone and currently I use s 4s and like it (jailbroken of course),  and I own 3 apple computers (2 macbook pros and a desktop) and an iPad so having them all mess together with iCloud works well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Android or iPhone?

Reply #6
88turbo and Foe nailed it. I've had 2 Blackberry phones and am currently using an HTC Inspire (basically, AT&T's Thunderbolt), and the wife has a Samsung Galaxy II.

With that said, the Droid system has been excellent, although at times I wish my telefono had a little more meat and taters in the processor and ram departments.

I'm also tough on phones, and an otterbox is now mandated for every phone I'll carry, per the wife. lol

(in short, f*ck an apple)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Android or iPhone?

Reply #7
My last phone was a Blackberry 8830 and now I have a BB 9650.  I like the instant notifications I get of waiting messages, but don't like the tiny screen, lack of apps, or ability to custize Blackberries.  From what I've read here, it sounds like going with an Android would be in my best interest.  I've been researching Samsung's Galaxy S3 and it's looking pretty good to me.  :)
William

Android or iPhone?

Reply #9
Android.....but the iphone is a great phone and pretty good OS.  The android OS can be hooked to a cheap pos phone or a quality phone.  Kinda like the PC world.  Cheap py computer verse quality business unit.

Travis

Android or iPhone?

Reply #10
That's where I am at, in agreement with turbotrav. My phone is a lower end unit, but for no more than I do with it, it works. In short, I don't need a corvette just to run to the store to get a gallon of milk and a bottle of pop..lol.

Mine is about like a mildly built Thunderbird, fast, but has it's quirks. Just like me....
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Android or iPhone?

Reply #11
Adroid just for the simple ease of rooting
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Android or iPhone?

Reply #12
I've got an iPhone 4S and love it. I've also got an Android tablet and love it too.

The big thing on the iphone for me is the retina screen. It is truly the finest quality screen I've ever seen. The pixels are so small you can't tell you're looking at a computer screen (no aliasing). This forum shows up in Safari with no magnification and you can actually read the text on that tiny screen, thanks to the tiny pixels.

That being said, there are things I like about my android tablet as well, tho some of these things are manufacturer dependent. For example I love the fact that I can connect it to my computer and transfer files to and from it without using iTunes. I hate iTunes. It is an abomination of a program. How a company that brags about being easy to use ever came up with such a counterintuitive program I will never understand. What's so f*cking difficult about drag & drop, Apple? I don't want to "sync", I just want to add a f*cking song (or ringtone, or photo, or video) to my phone without jumping through hoops.

I also like the Android app store (more free stuff than Apple's store). And I like that I don't have to buy my memory from Apple. The difference between a 16GB and 32GB iPhone is a hundred bucks, but I can buy a 32GB micro SD card for my tablet for under $20. This, again, is manufacturer specific - some phones/tablets may not have upgradeable memory.

As for Blackberry: That ship is sinking. RIM has done too little, far too late, to save the company. I predict RIM will be tits up inside of two years and the company's patents and intellectual property will all be bought up by other companies. Current BB owners will be left in the cold. Which is a shame, because my first smart phone was a Blackberry, and I briefly loved it (before becoming infuriated with its constant crashes, lack of useful apps, and lack of support from RIM (IE no OS updates). I ended up hating that phone so much I shot it. Literally. I took it to the rifle range with me before deer season, walked the 100 yards to the target area, set the phone up, walked back to the shooting area, and let fly at it with my .30-06. It actually shiznit the bed (the trackpad stopped working) months before deer season, and I switched it for a cheap-ass phone just to ride out my contract, but I hated it so much I hung onto it with the sole intention of shooting it. Never before was talking out my anger on an inanimate object so satisfying...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Android or iPhone?

Reply #13
The way Apple is abusing the patent system is reason enough to boycott them.
...and there was light!

Android or iPhone?

Reply #14
I have seriously resisted the iPhone since day one. I have used Apple products since 1988 and, with very few exceptions, have had excellent luck with every Apple product.
But there is a problem.

Built into the Apple ecosystem is obsolescence. Just about every one of their products have a 3-4 year "lifespan". That means, it will run a current OS for that amount of time, then it's EOLed. Of course it still works afterward, but it can't be updated beyond a certain OS.

So...I have a 3.5-year-old 24" iMac at home. It can run the latest Mac OS (Mountain Lion/10.8, out tomorrow). But that's likely to be the last one and then...down to the basp00get it goes. And a new iMac will be purchased to replace it.
I have a 2.5-year-old 15" MacBook Pro. That's my work/production computer. Still running 10.6 on it. It's going to be EOL in a few years. At that point I'll likely shell out another $1500+ for a newer laptop.
I had an iPad (1G), gave that to the folks. Getting a new iPad soon for work/web production/tax write-off purposes.

It just seems that, no matter what upgrades I do (memory, HD, etc.) the Apple device will eventually be unusable for the software or tasks that I do.

And of course, Apple relies upon that. Moreso than any other computer company, including Microsoft.

Is it evil? I don't know...personally I've never had issues that people have brought up here.
(BTW, iTunes for Mac is a TOTALLY different experience than iTunes for Windows. It never gets in your way. Really.)

So I already have to play the upgrade game with my home computer, work computer, and tablet.
Do I really want to add a phone to that also? Keeping in mind that a 2-year contract with the cell company goes along with that. I'd be stuck with that phone for 2 years unless I break the contract (read: fork out big bucks again). I can try a used iPhone, but...yeah, that probably will result in a huge mistake somewhere along the line.

It's a tough call. I've been a big, BIG fan of Sony Ericsson phones for the last decade and each of them have held up very well, performed great, and didn't make me buy accessories every time I upgraded. Plus I bought them outright, switched SIMs, and called it a day. But the latest one (U8/Vivaz Pro) has been disappointing as far as the Symbian OS. It's technically a smartphone but Symbian is dead, now owned by Nokia...I can't add any apps to the phone. Web surfing is painful. It's frustrating. Sony and Ericsson have now split, and while the new Sony phones are nice, I really don't desire having the Android OS as the only option. For the same price (or, actually, LESS) I can get an iPhone that's more usable for production purposes, and fits nicely into the Apple system I already have.

I've messed around with Android and it's decent enough for most things. I'm just not as comfortable with it, plus I feel the apps that will help me the most lie more in Apple's direction.

All signs point to me getting an iPhone. It's probably inevitable. But I feel like I'm losing some of my freedom along the way.

There is a special corner in hell reserved solely for telecommunications companies.