Skip to main content
Topic: Late transmission crossmembers (Read 1679 times) previous topic - next topic

Late transmission crossmembers

Having a brain fade (and I's spent more time under 4-eyed cars than aero ones)

I know the 87-88TC's(and perhaps the 86's) use a different trans mount vs the earlier cars, but was the crossmember the same?  I'm thinking not.

Which cars used the trans mount that was the same as the MN-12's with the single stud sticking out the bottom?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #1
All 87-88 T-birds and Cougars I've seen use the same two stud mount cross members. Most of them even have double hump cross members (mine does).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
Have they been TC's? Pretty sure those were different.

Reply #3
the transmount on both of my 86 tbirds had 2 bolts for the mount, and single hump crossmembers.
one is a c5 and the other is an AOD if it matters.
cant say about the later ones.

i cant remember if the t5 transmount had one bolt for the mount.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #4
The 87-88 TC's have a different one, it has a special "counter balance weight" thing. I remember from changing out the A4LD. 87-88 V6 cars did not have the double hump, most v8's did. Surely in 88 they all did, for the duel exhaust, 87, most of them still did.

Reply #5
Looks like it's just a TC thing.  The 5spds also used that single stud mount, correct?

Reply #6
Chuck, mine had the single stud type till I changed it out, the crossmember is different
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #7
Quote from: gumby;347382
Chuck, mine had the single stud type till I changed it out, the crossmember is different

You swapped to the earlier style, and used the "Mustang" mount, right?

Reply #8
correct
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #9
The one in my Sport is from the Maroon '88 TC I had in 2006, 1 bolt on each side (to the subframe) and it's double hump. No mods needed for it to work with the 5.0/T5 I transplanted from the Stang vert...

Edit: didnt read the first post til lafter I'd posted. I have an Energy Susp. trans mount...2 studs..I see what you mean now.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6