Skip to main content
Topic: How much yoke is needed into the transmission 3550 Tremec? (Read 1833 times) previous topic - next topic

How much yoke is needed into the transmission 3550 Tremec?

So I'm getting my 302 swap done on my 87 TC and ive got nearly everything dialed in. One issue i ran into is the amount of yoke shaft i see coming out of the tranny. So to give you guys an idea its a 302 out of my old 89 foxbody, tremec 3550 (stock style T5 input and ouput shafts), bell housing that came along with the tranny, chuck motor mounts, and a rear end out of the same foxbody as well (Had already done the SN95 Cobra brake conversion).
Motor lines up great, tranny mounts in the correct spot, shifter is right where it needs to be, I'm almost ready to rock n roll. Rear end was already running great before I started the v8 swap.
I installed the stock T5 turbo coupe driveshaft into the car and that was that until later on while under the car i noticed quite a bit of the driveshaft yoke is exposed, more than i remember seeing on my foxbody or my t-bird in stock trim.
Only thing i had to measure at the time was a metric ruler and I totally forgot to take a picture, also the the stock TC driveshaft had some type of damper on the yoke which has since came off and was removed but the inner collar is still there, anyways the measurement from the end of the tranny housing to the beginning of the damper mount portion on the yoke is about 40mm or about 1-9/16", the yoke shaft extends into the damper mount portion on the front yoke so the total length of yoke shaft exposed is about 65mm or about 2-9/16", that is the length from the end of the tranny housing to the end of the yoke shaft exposed.
Take note that the car is sitting on jack stands but the rear jacks are mounted on the rear axle and the car is level, wheels are in normal ride position.
I don't know how much of the driveshaft yoke is actually inside the transmission as i forgot to check but i will pull it soon to check, The car isn't in driving condition yet but I wont test it until I get this issue resolved.
From what I'm looking at I'll have to get the driveshaft lengthened, get a different yoke, or maybe use a driveshaft spacer??
Is anybody running this same setup or have some tips to get this taken care of. I know it's an oddball setup with the 3550 and not many people run the 3550 nowadays especially in a t-bird so any input would be helpful.
I'll get a picture asap and remove the driveshaft to see how much of the yoke is actually in the trans as soon an I get the chance.
I did a bit of research and seen that some front driveshaft yokes are longer than others so i might actually be in the clear if the yoke shaft is long enough but it totally slipped my my mind on double checking, I'm still tackling a couple other things on the car as far as the swap goes but i did get it to fire and idle since the swap was done so I'm closing in on the end of my swap, just a couple more things to get squared sway.
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #1
When I had my aluminum DS built for my Bird they told me to measure from the back of the trans t the flat  on the rear end with the suspension loaded and subtract 3/4".  That is the measurement I gave them to build the shaft and I have a 3/4" to maybe a 1" gap with the suspension loaded.  Maybe Vinnie can chime in on what measurement he had to give when he had the CV driveshaft shortened to fit his at and what the gap measures with the suspension loaded.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #2
What I read when I did my t-5 swap was 3/4" to 1" loaded. My stock aod driveshaft fit behind my 3.8 t-5. It actually had about 1/8 to maybe 1/4" more sticking out, probably due to weight difference.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
Ditto on the 3/4 -1 in.

Reply #4
Ok I made some measurements the other night and i have about 2.5" of the yoke inserted into the trans. That still leaves a little over 2.5" of yoke outside the trans mostly exposed. So should I even invest in getting this thing lengthened, run it as is, does anybody have any input on driveshaft spacers, the ones that go on the rear axle  to the rear driveshaft yoke?
Problem with getting it lengthened is there isn't many shops that are performance oriented that i know of in town but I will ask around. I'd hate to have to ship this thing out just for that, even so it'll still be a stock spec driveshaft. i believe a 1 inch spacer should get me going, but I don't know if that would be ideal. I've read that some people run them with some serious power (around 500hp) but I wont be close to that with my setup.
From what I've read the only issue is the main problem is that the driveshaft won't fall out of the trans and it should not according to the measurements I made. I also have adjustable upper control arms to clear up any pinion angle issues, at the moment I have them set at stock length.
Any input on how I should proceed with this would be greatly appreciated. The car will also not be my main daily driver, maybe just take it out a couple times a week.
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo

Reply #5
Ok I made some measurements the other night and i have about 2.5" of the yoke inserted into the trans. That still leaves a little over 2.5" of yoke outside the trans mostly exposed. So should I even invest in getting this thing lengthened, run it as is, does anybody have any input on driveshaft spacers, the ones that go on the rear axle  to the rear driveshaft yoke?
Problem with getting it lengthened is there isn't many shops that are performance oriented that i know of in town but I will ask around. I'd hate to have to ship this thing out just for that, even so it'll still be a stock spec driveshaft. i believe a 1 inch spacer should get me going, but I don't know if that would be ideal. I've read that some people run them with some serious power (around 500hp) but I wont be close to that with my setup.
From what I've read the only issue is the main problem is that the driveshaft won't fall out of the trans and it should not according to the measurements I made. I also have adjustable upper control arms to clear up any pinion angle issues, at the moment I have them set at stock length.
Any input on how I should proceed with this would be greatly appreciated. The car will also not be my main daily driver, maybe just take it out a couple times a week.

Reply #6
Find a Crown Vic police car, get the aluminum driveshaft out of it and have it sized for your car. That's what I did. A guy local to me buys the surplus cars and parts them out. I bought two of the aluminum driveshafts for $63 and then had a local company size it for me (shorten it) for $125. I've heard that the Ford Aerostar vans may have them as well.

Reply #7
DO NOT have a drive shaft lengthened, that has bad news all over it.  Go find a 1995-2010 P71 Crown Vic (police) and get the driveshaft out of it and then have it shortened to the correct length.

Reply #8
Cool deal, did these come on only police edition crown vics or base models as well?
on the aerostar vans about what years should I look for, I'm probably going to hit the wrecking yard and hope to find one in good condition.

Reply #9
As far as I know its only the P71 Crown Vics.  The Aerostar van DS works on the Fox Mustangs with adapter u-joints in that it is a direct bolt in so no shortening.  With that being said I don't think any of the Aerostar vans will work for our applications.