Skip to main content
Topic: 2.3L Engine Build Up (Read 1481 times) previous topic - next topic

2.3L Engine Build Up

Over this winter/spring I am building my 2.3L from bottom to top. A lot of time and money is going to be invested into this project and I am creating this thread to post updates and ask questions related to the motor and drive train.
Goal is to reach 700whp on race gas with MicroTech tune.
and have a respectable 400-500 for the street as a daily driver.
This project may even end up going through the majority of the summer depending on funds and determination.

First question. Is the stock Crank going to be good for 700+ HP?
Should i go .020 over or .030 over?
what kind of compression should i aim to run if i am running around atleast 30PSI, 8:1?
What kind of Rods should i go with?

Any answers or suggestions are appreciated.
:birdsmily:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, CenterForce Stage 2 Dual Friction Clutch, B&M Ripper Shifter, T3/T4 Turbonetics 63 A/R Turbo, Rods Stainless Tubular Ceramic Coated Header, Boost Controller @ 15Psi, Kirban AFPR, 42lb Injectors, 190LPH Walbro Fuel pump, Ranger Roller Cam, 3" Aluminum Intake Tubing, K&N Cone,  KYB Struts, Koni Red Horizontals/Verticals, Eibach Sportline Springs, Racer Walsh C/C Plates, Polyurethane Bushings, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels

2.3L Engine Build Up

Reply #1
Carillo rods.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2.3L Engine Build Up

Reply #2
This is going to be exciting.

"Respectable 400-500..."

lmao

2.3L Engine Build Up

Reply #3
sounds very exciting!!! Ive got a respectable 400+ outta my v6 stang.  I would like to do that to my coupe but its a dd so that is gonna have to wait!
97 Mustang
V6 turbo 448hp:burnout:
best 11.09@124mph

88 Tbird Turbo Coupe
243,000 miles and still goin strong

2.3L Engine Build Up

Reply #4
Quote from: t3skidoo;250885
Carillo rods.

Have any websites or links to purchase these rods?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, CenterForce Stage 2 Dual Friction Clutch, B&M Ripper Shifter, T3/T4 Turbonetics 63 A/R Turbo, Rods Stainless Tubular Ceramic Coated Header, Boost Controller @ 15Psi, Kirban AFPR, 42lb Injectors, 190LPH Walbro Fuel pump, Ranger Roller Cam, 3" Aluminum Intake Tubing, K&N Cone,  KYB Struts, Koni Red Horizontals/Verticals, Eibach Sportline Springs, Racer Walsh C/C Plates, Polyurethane Bushings, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels

2.3L Engine Build Up

Reply #5
anyone out there know if the stock crank will be good for 700+ hp after its been balanced.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2.3L Engine Build Up

Reply #6
That's Carrillo, not 'Carillo', sorry.
http://www.carrilloind.com/Home/tabid/53/Default.aspx

Should i go .020 over or .030 over?
This is just an opinion, but I'd suggest "as little as possible".    Ten thousandths in this case is more valuable as strength instead of displacement.

Not sure about the crank, but maybe the answer is "yes".  You haven't specified what you're going to be doing with all that power.  It makes a difference as to what engine components to use.

And, you haven't specifically asked for this, but...
Take the block to a reputable machine shop and explain your goals.  Have them do what they need to do to make it perfect.  Get the necessary specs from them to order pistons.

I think you're going to need more than 30psi to make that much power.  Or the motor's going to have to see the high side of 8K, which brings the crank into question.

Which turbo (or turbos) are you thinking about using?  Normally, something that's good for 700+ is kinda laggy on a Lima.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2.3L Engine Build Up

Reply #7
You should see if you can do this on a "BUDGET", otherwise 700 hp outta a 2.3 Turbo may end up on your driveway during the first burnout. 700 hp is a nice goal but a little more realistic 500 hp is attainable when you have never heard of Carrillo Rods. Without killing a budget, a $200 Eaton M-90 from a SC would make 20+lbs of boost on a 2.3 throughout the entire powerband. It would give the anemic low end of the motor some V-8 style of grunt and that top end pull the 2.3 is known for. Besides do you have the drive train for a legitimate 700hp? My 5.0 Bird was making a conservative 430 and was eating rearends and trannies like a fat chick on Peanut Butter Cups. You may want to think this out a bit, a 5.0 block will only handle 600 hp so I would say you need, Aftermarket Block (2.5 stroker), main studs, girdle, a 4130 "STEEL" crank or stronger, JE Pistons, 7.8:1 CR, O-Ring the block, Copper head gaskets, Larger intercooler, Racing Head, Crazy Camshaft, Possibly a sheetmetal intake, injectors, Custom Fuel system, Alcohol Injection System......The list is endless. I hope you are rich or employed by some Middle East Sultan.

2.3L Engine Build Up

Reply #8
Quote from: Lightningbird;251335
You should see if you can do this on a "BUDGET", otherwise 700 hp outta a 2.3 Turbo may end up on your driveway during the first burnout. 700 hp is a nice goal but a little more realistic 500 hp is attainable when you have never heard of Carrillo Rods. Without killing a budget, a $200 Eaton M-90 from a SC would make 20+lbs of boost on a 2.3 throughout the entire powerband. It would give the anemic low end of the motor some V-8 style of grunt and that top end pull the 2.3 is known for. Besides do you have the drive train for a legitimate 700hp? My 5.0 Bird was making a conservative 430 and was eating rearends and trannies like a fat chick on Peanut Butter Cups. You may want to think this out a bit, a 5.0 block will only handle 600 hp so I would say you need, Aftermarket Block (2.5 stroker), main studs, girdle, a 4130 "STEEL" crank or stronger, JE Pistons, 7.8:1 CR, O-Ring the block, Copper head gaskets, Larger intercooler, Racing Head, Crazy Camshaft, Possibly a sheetmetal intake, injectors, Custom Fuel system, Alcohol Injection System......The list is endless. I hope you are rich or employed by some Middle East Sultan.

Well here is what i've decided. going to buy a 2.5 stroker block off racer walsh and acspoogeulate the parts needed for the build. A friend

of mine has offered to build the engine and head for me, he has been building race engines for 35 years so he knows a few tricks. Im

going to go for pure efficiency here. Fully race ported head, big lift roller cam, everything from the intake to exhaust needs to flow with

as little impedance as possible. I am planning on running a MicroTech ECU which is basically a stand alone system that will

replace the stock wiring harness. Current Turbo i have now isn't going to cut the 600-700 hp mark It's a Hybrid t3/t4 turbonetics

dual ball bearing turbo, not sure of the A/R but its efficient to about 400HP. This isn't going to be no over night build, thats for sure.

I'm in college at the moment and working part time. The Driveline is basically stock, and I will be leaving it that way on a 400hp street

tune, without any abuse it should hold up fine. Once i can afford a 6 speed TR, and some beefy rear end parts for the 8.8, 5 lug

conversion ext. then i'll turn up the boost.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]