Skip to main content
Topic: Radiator Hold Downs / Brackets (Read 3135 times) previous topic - next topic

Radiator Hold Downs / Brackets

I'm at it again!

Just installed an aluminum 2 core radiator in my 83' 5.0 Cougar, and am not liking the OEM top mounts one bit.

The rubber insulators in the OEM Mounts barely even touch the mount locations on the radiator itself, and allow about 1/2 of up and down movement of the radiator itself.  - Obviously not a good thing.

I purchased on of those Steeda Hold Downs that bolts into the OEM location, but the hold down point is across the entire top of the radiator core. -  Same problem.  1/2 of up and down movement of the radiator itself.

My set up does still utilize a belt driven fan.

Any ideas folks?  What are you guys with larger non-OEM radiator upgrades using?

I'm considering trying this on, as it would cover the entire top of the radiator itself, and could be bolted through the fan shroud mounting holes:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/upr-radiator-support-bracket-large-stainless-steel-1979-1993/p/ROC13/?year=1989&utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjww42tBRCO-sfEiO3DvYMBEiQAHeqMKOUR-_UuQZ71vBu6WS56s_8AJN_CSxP1mgzhJV6wwNoaAjaF8P8HAQ

I'd appreciate your thoughts.    Thanks!
To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.

]Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply #1
Try fox mustang mounts

Reply #2
I've got a set of them too - they are the same as ours.    Thanks!
To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.

]Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply #3
This would probably be a little more to your needs:
http://www.cjponyparts.com/upr-radiator-support-bracket-small-stainless-steel-1979-1993/p/ROC59-V/

In the past I've just made my own brackets out of aluminum, drilled holes, put some rubber padding on the underside, and called it a day. It all just depends on how tall the radiator is in relation to the core support.

Reply #4
Is this a direct fit radiator meant for fox chassis cars?  If so, the height should be the same.  I could understand some aftermarket ones are WIDER front to back necessitating shaving the rubber on the mounts to make it fit, but if the height is different there may be another issue.  Are the rubber isolators in place on the BOTTOM mount points?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #5
EricCoolCats - The Steeda Bracket I have is exactly the same as the one you referenced.    It came with a 1/4 inch spacer for each side to allow adjustment, but it just doesn't seem to do enough. 

I'm not above doing some fabrication; just wanted to see if anything was out there first.

What did you use for the rubber padding?

V8Demon - It is a direct fit for a Fox Cougar - the measurements are the same, just the thicker core.    The problem appears to be that the mounting points on the radiator itself, in the OEM location, are just physically lower than an OEM would be.
New OEM Insulators are installed on the lower mount - no issue with fitment, or height down there whatsoever.  ( Weird ehh?  )

Thanks for the help guys!  :)

]Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply #6
I drilled two holes.....through the lip of the core support in front of the radiator, then through the lip of the radiator and used two small bolts with rubber isolators between the core support and radiator. Held firm, clean and simple, two brackets gone. Took about 5 minutes, and cost me nothing since I already have fasteners.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
I've got a two row aluminum radiator with the stock Fox brackets. I just trimmed some of the rubber on the bracket down and slightly bent the bracket a bit wider. Fits like a glove.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
Take an old shoe, cut the sole off and stack it until you have enough rubber for spacers. Glue to together with rubber cement and then bolt it down. Its the bottom of a radiator, noone is looking at it, and you'll likely never need to see it again either.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #9
Thanks for the suggestions!

]Ralph Waldo Emerson