Skip to main content
Topic: my new red '87 turbo coupe (Read 2698 times) previous topic - next topic

my new red '87 turbo coupe

hi all,

I've taken a long hiatus from older cars since my last '87 & '85 TC that I had in 2010 and 2008.

Here's my new red, '87 TC that I picked up earlier today:

Reply #1
Nice.

Looks like someone put some time/money/effort into the car before you bought it.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
Nice score, I want you're interior!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 T/C body with a 5.0 transplant. Motor has a Vortech V-2 supercharger, Edlebrock Performer RPM II intake, heads, FRPP F-303 cam, Comp Cams roller rockers, Power Pipe, LMAF, full Mac exhaust, lowered, Koni's, 5 lug conversion, Cobra wheels, 13" Cobra brakes, etc.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing it off. Time for a new chapter in my life.
Dynoed 446 horse/409 torque at the wheels.
2003 Tenth Anniversary Cobra Convertible. 1 of 369 Torch Red made.
2021 Chevrolet 3500 dually, crew cab Duramax.

Reply #3
I have long thought that the Thunderbird's leather raven interior is among the nicest interiors of any car, especially the seats.

Nice car!  A lot of work went into it already.

Daniel

Reply #4
Nice score!!........now we need some details :D
88 sport,TW heads, comp xe270hr, cobra u/Tmoss ported lower, 65 mm throttle body, under drives,smog delete,
1.7 roller rockers, cai, k&n, bbk adj regulator, 76mm Pro-m,all MSD ign. MSD dist,18° base timing, 3g alt.1 5/8 ceramic headers, 255lph walbro, 2.5" h-pipe, flowmasters, silverfox valvebody, 3.73 gear,
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc154/flipnbird/DSCF0185.jpg ( RIP : ( )

Reply #5
Awesome!  I saw this on the Philly Craigslist ... looks like a really nice car.

Reply #6
Quote from: thunderjet302;463184
Nice.

Looks like someone put some time/money/effort into the car before you bought it.

yeah, the work that was done to the car by the owner who sold the car to the person I bought it from was pretty competent with cars.

Quote from: gtbird;463185
Nice score, I want you're interior!!!

haha.  not going to lie, I really like the velour interior myself, especially since the car doesn't have AC

Quote from: BornInAFord;463186
I have long thought that the Thunderbird's leather raven interior is among the nicest interiors of any car, especially the seats.

Nice car!  A lot of work went into it already.

Daniel

I think the interior this car currently has was from a parts car.  I dig the velour interior myself..

yep, that was one of the appeals to buying it because it had a lot of the work already done that I would want to do to it eventually.  I'm not a mechanic so the labor costs to get someone to do it for me would of been a killer.

Quote from: flipnbird;463191
Nice score!!........now we need some details :D

gosh, it has a fair bit of work done to it.  honestly, Tbird232ci probably knows more about the work done to it than me!  I sent him a listing of the car (which didn't list too much of the work that was done to it) and he was naming off stuff left and right that was done to it...  I'll try to name a few things:

- front mount intercooler with large 3in piping
- aluminum radiator with an electric fan
- cone air filter
- ported and rotated upper intake (as far as I know)
- 3in downpipe that goes into 2.5 single exhaust (not sure of the ler yet - it does have a nice throaty sound to it)
- 5 lug conversion using spindles from a 96-04 cobra
- cobra front/rear rotors and disc brakes
- maxim motorsport camber/caster plates
- 18in HP design cobra wheels (235/50/18 up front, 275/40/18 in the rear.  The front tires are too tall as they rub fender wells and will be getting replaced soon)
- auto meter gauges

Quote from: 85CougarCobra;463192
Awesome!  I saw this on the Philly Craigslist ... looks like a really nice car.

yep, that's where I got it!  thanks!!

Reply #7
some things I'll likely be changing over the next year or so:

the car's power steering was replaced with manual steering from an SN95.  while the engine bay looks A LOT cleaner without all of the junk, it doesn't make driving the car as fun as it could be, especially being that I live on a narrow street and when I pull the car out of the driveway, it's a real PITA.  I've been talking to Shawn about this and an EPS (electric power steering) set up might be the easiest and cleanest looking to compliment the work that already went into the car, while making it easier to drive.

I'm a tall, fat, handsome guy...I'm pretty sure the driver's seat is sitting higher than my old '85 & '87 TC did.  The rear tilt button to drop the rear of the seat (I believe) doesn't work - when you press the button forward, you can hear it click, as if the seat in the front is down as low as it can go, but nothing when you push the button backwards.  I'm not sure if that's a sign that the seat track is bad or what.  My buddy Brian has an '87 or '88 TC with fully working power seats.  I'm hoping to sit in his within the next month or two to see if I sit lower in his than in mine.  if that's the case, I'll hunt down a fully working power seat track or find a manual track and go from there!

Reply #8
Quote from: 85turbotbird;463214

the car's power steering was replaced with manual steering from an SN95.  while the engine bay looks A LOT cleaner without all of the junk, it doesn't make driving the car as fun as it could be, especially being that I live on a narrow street and when I pull the car out of the driveway, it's a real PITA.  I've been talking to Shawn about this and an EPS (electric power steering) set up might be the easiest and cleanest looking to compliment the work that already went into the car, while making it easier to drive.

I've been saying it all along...

:rollin:

I'm a tall, fat, handsome guy...

I'll hunt down a fully working power seat track or find a manual track and go from there!

I just sent you a link to one a little bit ago. Should hook you up pretty well.

Yeah...this is what happens when I'm bored and unsupervised.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #9
Very nice car.
1987 Turbo Coupe, 306, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Comp Cam, Trick Flow Pistons, Eagle Rods, Center Force clutch, T-5, 8.8 w/373 gears, and a bunch more

Reply #10
Looks clean and well done.  Nice car.
Mike