Skip to main content
Topic: Turbocoupe 351w swap alternator help (Read 2321 times) previous topic - next topic

Turbocoupe 351w swap alternator help

Hi Ive looked and looked so now Ill ask for help. I doing the carbed 351 swap in a 87 T.C this started out as a 2 thousand dollar build. the ford racing aluminum heads and Harland sharp rockers blew that number out of the water. So 6 grand later I'm almost done one last component the alternator can I us the stock alt. or do I need to go to a single wire alt. At this point I just wanna hear this thing run and smoke some tires off the wheels you know spend more money
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #1
Hell, for 6 grand on the engine, may as well have a nice shiny, new and strong alternator lol.

Just make sure you wire the sucker up right....don't want to burn it up the bad way :hick:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
Part of the 6 grand includes the two birds to make one and the long travel to get them as well as all the goodies so all in all its not that bad . I live in new England the salt keeps the body men busy and the crusher at the jyard running.  At this point the numbers don't mater Ive heard bad things from single wire alternators and unwanted pesky fires and dead batteries. Just looking for thoughts on wiring ease and reliability?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #4
That looks like the way to go ill look at that more in the morning seeing that quick diagram makes it seem allot easier. I still gonna ask for help on the swap my buddy's done it before up till now I've always done same for same. so it will be nice having some one to look over my shoulder when I get stuck

it was 100 deg yesterday and close today but you must be used to it down there?

Reply #5
Quote from: thewestie;327634
That looks like the way to go ill look at that more in the morning seeing that quick diagram makes it seem allot easier. I still gonna ask for help on the swap my buddy's done it before up till now I've always done same for same. so it will be nice having some one to look over my shoulder when I get stuck

it was 100 deg yesterday and close today but you must be used to it down there?

I just did the 3G swap on my 88 LX and it was rather simple :D

I have been here 10 years and  I dont think you can ever really get used to 100 degrees ,
though I was in Worcester in October and I about froze to death ;)
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #6
I used the stock bracket for the alt on both of my 351w swaps

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Reply #7
I did the same. Just used my 5.0L alt bracket and tentioner.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

alternator

Reply #8
I did the 3g swap on my 5.8 using an F-150 5.0 alternator bracket, which works great. For the alternator wiring, I gutted that out of a Taurus at the Salvage Yard for a larger diameter wire that is 100% plug and play. The wire is even long enough to be able to run it up the engine harness and tape it in for a completely stock look.

Reply #9
Cool Thanks for all the help next Ill want AC thats If I can keep the eng temp cool with out it

Reply #10
Done Big difference