Skip to main content
Topic: finally took the bird to the track (Read 5052 times) previous topic - next topic

finally took the bird to the track

Reply #30
Basically, his point is, the SO and HO use different firing orders, and that there is no MAF computer for the SO firing order, which is determined by the camshaft.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #31
Quote from: Tbird232ci
Basically, his point is, the SO and HO use different firing orders, and that there is no MAF computer for the SO firing order, which is determined by the camshaft.

which im aware of. are you saying it wont ever run right, unless i get an HO cam?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #32
I have no experience with it personally, but that could be where youre losing major power.

If that is the case, a stock HO cam with some 1.6 roller rockers should help you out.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #33
No, you can swap the wires that go into the plug for your computer harness.  The number 3,7,2,6 cylinders fire in basically reverse order on the SO cam.  I don't remember which pins you have to move off-hand....anyone else out there that made the swap and can remember? 

Basically each cylinder will have it's own wire that goes into the plug for the computer and you have to swap those four cylinders.  If no one else has the information handy, I will try to find my dospoogeentation tonight when I get home.

Reply #34
FWIW, back when I was in high school (95ish) I took my stock 84 Bird 5.0 to Bunker HIll, IN (1/8th) and I ran like a 10.8 or so...
Ryan[/i][/COLOR]
1986 2R[/b] SVO
1984 T-Bird 5.0 (In Hibernation since 10/96)

Reply #35
went back to the track last night. all these times were on a 125 wet shot with 14 degrees of timing and shifting at 5,400 rpms.

best 60' - 1.742
best ET -  13.51
best trap speed - 101mph

1st pass: engaged nitrous in 2nd gear
R/T - .151
60' - 1.887 (spun in 1st w/ 15psi in tires)
1/4 - 13.519
MPH - 101.35

2nd pass: 4,000 rpm launch and sprayed out of the hole
R/T - .595
60' - 1.824 (spun in 1st w/ 15psi in tires)
1/4 - 13.708
MPH - 100.47

3rd pass: 3,000 rpm launch and sprayed out of the hole
R/T - .201
60' - 1.754 (spun in 1st w/ 12psi in tires. short burnout)
1/4 - 13.539
MPH - 98.64

4th pass: 4,500 rpm launch and sprayed out of the hole.
R/T - .536
60' - 1.742 (did not spin)
1/4 - 14.475
MPH - 89.32
(backfired in 2nd gear, blew the nozzle out)

i dont think that's too bad for a stock motor that runs a little rough. :D
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #36
As others have said, you cannot simply use an HO setup (injectors, computer) without doing 1 of two things:
1.  Rewire your engine harness to make the injectors fire in the correct order of the SO.
2.  Replace the SO camshaft to an HO (such as the E cam you bought).

If you're still using the SO cam, your computer is squirting half the injectors at the wrong times in correlation to the intake valve and firing order of the distributor.  Rewiring the injectors will put it back into sync with the cam and firing order, but then you'll have to switch the wiring back once you install an HO cam (like the E cam you picked up).  Better off just installing the cam the first time around....

Reply #37
Joe, swapping the inj order actually causes more problem than leaving them in the SO order. Reason??? #1 fires... o2 senso reports back to EEC all is well., Now #3 fires BUT the EEC is thinking it is firing #5 and is looking for a responce from the o2 sensor... Nothing. OK I richen it up next time... still nothing(remember 3 & 5 are on oppisite banks)... BUT its getting a signal from #3 that it is too rich, OK I'll pull some fuel.... no responce... So what eventually happens is two of the switched cylinders wind up too rich and the other two are too lean. Leaving it as is, the EEC does adapt to the slightly uneven mixture caused by wrong firing order...