Skip to main content
Topic: Raced the Cougar tonight (AGAIN... new times added 09/26) (Read 6773 times) previous topic - next topic

Raced the Cougar tonight (AGAIN... new times added 09/26)

Reply #45
try to pick up a used pro 5.0 or the like when you put it back together. its supriding the differance it makes and will help stretch out the life of the next t5.

eh...6 speed is cool but id probably go with a G force t5 or more likely tko600 if i had to do it again. if you can help it get the 00' cobra R trans. better gearing. otherwise its either the viper or 03-04 cobra version like i have. if you can, get the viper version. if you are going to get stuck with the suck 2.66 1st gear, might as well bennefit from the .50 6th the viper tranny has. both cobra versions are .62 6th.

i certainly cant complain aboout how nice the T56 shifts and with an aftermarket shifter (i have a PHP on mine) it feels awesome to shift that sucker. very rugged but smooth like butter.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #46
No shifter is going to save 3rd in a T5 from continual power shifts...

Plain and simple, it's the T5's Achilles Heal... Busts when you make the gear at full throttle, not when you miss it...

Reply #47
funny... thast the first T5 that I have blown 3rd on...  I use to race my '87 and '88 coupes everyweekend and never had an issue....  the '88 had 325kms on it, and the '87 had 165kms..  must have been good T5's...

thanks for the advise and comments guys...

Reply #48
Not double clutch'n like you should.......

Not granny shift'n......

Lucky you didn't blow the welds off the intake!!!!
88 TC with 93 GT 5.0 (.030 over), XE266HR Compcam, SVO 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK underdrives, BBK 1 5/8" headers, 2 1/2" exhuast with Americian Thunder Flowmaster lers. Tremec 5 speed and 3.73's and alot of other goodies to list.....

Reply #49
I killed my first T5 also. Installed a 2001 V6 tranny with my 93 tailshaft. Had to machine a slot in the main shaft for the speedo gear. The new/used tranny has a real low first, works really well with the 3.73 rear.
88 TC with 93 GT 5.0 (.030 over), XE266HR Compcam, SVO 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK underdrives, BBK 1 5/8" headers, 2 1/2" exhuast with Americian Thunder Flowmaster lers. Tremec 5 speed and 3.73's and alot of other goodies to list.....

Reply #50
You possibly "bent" the teeth on third or cluster on that second run... Run three finished it off...

Short shifting at about 4500 RPMs(peak torque) will kill one quicker than winding it to 6000 and banging the gear...