Skip to main content
Topic: '88 TBird start up...excess cranking (Read 670 times) previous topic - next topic

'88 TBird start up...excess cranking

Hi all,

For quite some time, the TBird has been struggling to start.  As an injected V-6, the engine always fired immediately and I believed this saved a lot of wear and tear on the starting system through the years.  15 years ago we did have the fuel pump replaced due to failure.  In the past few years I have turned the key to run and waited a few seconds, and then started the engine.  This helped reduce the start time back to the way it was.  This trick doesnt help as much anymore.  Is there something I can learn from someone on this?  I thought maybe a fuel relay could be involved, but don't even known if one exists on this system.  Once the engine is running, it is flawless.  I replaced the filter without any change.  In testing the fuel pressure a few years ago, I noted that the first key turn to start resulted in zero pressure.  In reading Hayes, I see that a faulty pressure regulator may be involved?  BUT, then why would the engine run fine when running>>  ???

JR

Reply #1
The engine will run with low fuel pressure. You need to hook up a guage and see where it sits while its starting and reving. My car also took a while to start before I cchanged the timing chain. If you have higher miles, this would be a good place to start. Check your timing and fuel pressure.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
I would start by checking the fuel pressure,  I had the same issue on my car, it was the rubber hose inside the tank had a split .
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #3
The fuel pressure should hold after the engine is turned off.
If not the check valve at the fuel pump is probably bad.
This lets the gas drain back to the tank.

Reply #4
Thanks for the thoughts... it is a problem inside the tank (Pump related) based upon the info offered.  Likely will have to have the tank pulled....yuck. 

JR