Skip to main content
Topic: New wheels (Read 2082 times) previous topic - next topic

New wheels

So I really want these wheels for the back. However, I am not sure about how backspace works. These wheels have a 6.25" back space and are 17x10.
will these fit on my car?
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SVE-1007DBA/1987-93-Mustang-Anthracite-Anniversary-Wheel-17X10
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

New wheels

Reply #1
Those are just like the wheels I just removed from my car after three years of use. They fit my car fine, but, no more quad shocks.

'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

New wheels

Reply #2
Oh, one more thing....if you get on Ebay and look up OE Wheels, you can get them a lot cheaper these days. The price has come down on them. As far as I know, I'm the only one who has had them on a Bird so far.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

New wheels

Reply #3
will taking off the quad shock hurt the handling of the car?
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

New wheels

Reply #4
Yes. You won't be able to drive over 35 MPH.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

New wheels

Reply #5
The car is fine without the quads, but you may, and probably will, have axle hop under heavy acceleration upon takeoff. I installed the tubular control arms on the Sport, and without quads, the car still does great with those control arms.

New wheels

Reply #6
Okay thank you vinnie for your help. I appreciate it! I found new ones for $100 so I will pull the trigger.

New wheels

Reply #7
How wide of tires did you run and what kind?

New wheels

Reply #8
I removed my quad shocks on my 86 XR7 back in 2007 to fit my 275/50-15 drag radials.

Never had a problem with axle hop....then in 2008 I installed 4 bolt cobra r...with 285 street tires in the back...never had a problem.

Now my car was quick with the 2.3T...but didnt produce lots of torque at low rpms like a 5.0.

Travis

New wheels

Reply #9
Dads car.
In the front you have OEM 10th Anniversary wheels (with very narrow tires which makes it look like ).
And on the back you have chrome Cobra wheels

New wheels

Reply #10
I used 255 40 17 up front with 17x9 inch wheels, and 275 40 17 out back on the ten inch wheels.

New wheels

Reply #11
Sweet thanks Thunderbird88 for the info! i'll buy the Deep dishes now for it!