Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 transplant (Read 11257 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 5.0 transplant

Reply #90
looks like I dodged a bullet on the metal peelings.  It looks like they are the threads from the oil drain plug.  The plug and pan threads were about 50% stripped and I could see a couple of those peelings still attached to the oil pan at the threads.  A buddy of mine tipped me off to look for that and that's what it was.  There wasn't so much as a flake or dusting of metal in the rest of the pan.  I will check the filter also just to be safe.  Bad news is that the 2nd spark plug from the front drivers side has small-medium amount of carbon build up.  the 1st spark plug from the front on the drivers side was oil soaked.  I didn't pull out the plug until after I turned it upside down though, could oil have leaked to the spark plug from turning it upside down???  But it had some build up on it as well under the oil.  The inside of the header on the same side also has some carbon build-up in it.  The rest of the plugs are clean as a whistle.  So now I don't know what I should do.  Im thinking re-build.  I was kind of hoping to get by for a couple of years on this motor while I get the paint and interior fixed up then re-build it with upgrades for more power.  If I do it now I can only afford a stock re-build.

Reply #91
Hey guys, I have been working like crazy but I have been released from the clutches of overtime hell.  I have been knocking out little things every week in preperation for putting the engine back in the car this weekend.  Prob. won't get it ready to run but once I get it in there and hooking everything up it should be downhill from there.  My question is about the radiator overflow resevoir.  I put my battery in the trunk so where the battery would go (drivers side) and am putting a dual resevoir half is for the coolant overflow and the other half is the washer fluid.  I pulled this particular one from a ford ranger.  l have noticed that some tanks have the hose from the radiator connecting at the bottom of the tank  and some at the top of the tank.  The one I picked up is at the bottom.  Does this matter at all?

Reply #92
it shouldnt jason.ive got one from an 86 tbird that mounts in front of the radiator and it picks up from the bottom.

Reply #93
I need some help guys.  I got my engine in and when I turn the key the fuel pump won't run.  I double checked all of my ground wires that I know of.  I can hear the ecm power relay click on as well as in the engine bay. All of my accessories are working just fine and the motor will turn over just fine too.  Where should I start to look????

Thanks, Jason.

Reply #94
You could check by the computer on the passenger side.  There is a circular 3 or 4 pin connector that goes back to the trunk.  This connects the fule pump to the ECU harness.  You can check it at that point:

Tan/Green - From ECU to relay coil.  Grounding this energizes pump relay, and should turn on the pump.

Yellow - Hot coming from fuse link going to switch side of relay that supplies power to pump

V6->V8HO 88 LS
5.0L V8 87 XR7

Reply #95
There is a circular 3 or 4 pin connector that goes back to the trunk. This connects the fule pump to the ECU harness.

Oops!!  I saw that plug but I thought it was an extra for some accessory that I didn't have.  I will put that plug together and see if that fixes it.   

Thanks, Jason.

Reply #96
That was it, I spliced in a new connector and my fuel pump is running.  The still didn't want to run.  It hickupped and backfired a couple of times but it wouldn't fire up.  I didn't spend much time trying to get it to run last night so I need to go through the motions of trouble shooting, but I wanted to get your guys opinion about something.  The gas that is in the car has been there since January when I started this project.  Do I need to drain the tank and put fresh gas in it?  It has over a half tank of gas in it now, plus I added about 3 gallons and some treatment to it. What do you guys think?  I am going to try to get this thing going tonight if I can.  Thanks, Jason.

Reply #97
I don't think you would need new gas, especially if you put treatment in it.  It should be fine.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #98
Well, I put the treatment in last night, would that help it any? 

Also, I used the ignition module from the 85 bird on the 92 mustang engine.  I thought they had the same part # so I was thinking that would be ok, am I wrong about that?

Reply #99
I just put gas in a '87 turbo Coupe today that had not been on the road in over 2 years... Ran just fine on was was in tank..

Reply #100
Quote from: TurboCoupe50
I just put gas in a '87 turbo Coupe today that had not been on the road in over 2 years... Ran just fine on was was in tank..

That's good to hear. :)

Reply #101
Quote from: jasontbird
That was it, I spliced in a new connector and my fuel pump is running.  The still didn't want to run.  It hickupped and backfired a couple of times but it wouldn't fire up.  I didn't spend much time trying to get it to run last night so I need to go through the motions of trouble shooting, but I wanted to get your guys opinion about something.  The gas that is in the car has been there since January when I started this project.  Do I need to drain the tank and put fresh gas in it?  It has over a half tank of gas in it now, plus I added about 3 gallons and some treatment to it. What do you guys think?  I am going to try to get this thing going tonight if I can.  Thanks, Jason.

A backfire is a timing problem... recheck your wires and dist placement, possibly 180* out of time.

Reply #102
A backfire is a timing problem... recheck your wires and dist placement, possibly 180* out of time.

Tom, you the man.  I must have turned the dist. gear when I pulled it out to put on the ignition module.  It was 180* off.  It runs and idles good.  Now I just need to put everything together and see how good the tranny is.

Reply #103
What cold air intake kit should I get to run to the stock fresh air intake hole in my 85 bird?.  I know a couple of people around here that did it like that. I didn't want to cut the big hold for the 87 cougar air box.  I am looking for a reletively cheap solution as it will likely be temporary.  I will later try to configure a forced air setup.  Thanks, Jason.

Reply #104
pics.. we need pics of the install!!

congrats on getting it running.