Skip to main content
Topic: fan clutch (Read 2039 times) previous topic - next topic

fan clutch

recently the fan cluch on my 88 3.8 t-bird went, and my car sounded like a friggin wind tunnel, i replaced it the next day but its still the same loud roaring wind when i step on the gas. is there anything i can do? will the clutch loosen over time? or do i just have to suck it up?  :dunno:  anything would be helpful.

Re: fan clutch

Reply #1
:repost: just been waiting to use this
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
I had to replace mine about a month ago and it did the same thing. For a day or two it didn't spin freely but after that it loosened up and the noise went away.

Reply #3
The whole point of the clutch being operable is that it stay tight.  If you can spin your fan by hand and it turns more than 1.5 revolutions (car off, of course) then it is starting to go and should probably be replaced as soon as possible.  Did you test the replacement clutch after you put it in?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
When mine went it siezed completely so that the fan was spinning at the same rpm as the motor which makes for a very loud noise. But like paul said I can spin my new one about 1.5 times before it stops. But when I first put it on it would only spin about 3/4 of a turn before it would stop. I still had the noise but it was not as bad and then a few days after that the noise when away completely.

Reply #5
THe one on my Mercury is hella loose and when you rev it, the fan keeps spinnig for a while after the motor slows down.  Sounds like a groaning sound.