Skip to main content
Topic: Air Conditioning Woes (Read 756 times) previous topic - next topic

Air Conditioning Woes

I currently have a issue with my air conditioning.

I have a 1985 Cougar with the 5.0

During the recent HOT hot days this summer I took my car to get the
AC recharged, IO was refused because the recharge equipment detected a leak in my system.

as i was about to take a long drive in 100 degree weather i took matters into my own hands and but and used a recharge kit from
autozone to at least get some cool air during my drive.

now, the problem i'm having is this, i am getting water leaking on the driver side near the gas pedal from (or near) the cooling/heating vents.

has anyone had this symptom and have suggestions of what i should look at first, the last thing i want is to go in and be charged
an inordinate ammount to find out the leak was easily fixed

Air Conditioning Woes

Reply #1
Well, I think this usually occurs on the Passenger side, but it should be water coming from the Evap coils under the dash. There is a drain for the dash box that can be seen on the firewall from the passenger side of the engine bay, towards the bottom of the firewall. A little black tube pointed down with a grommet around it . That tube should just be clogged. take a stiff wire or something and try to clear it out from under the car. Just be ready for a stream of water.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Air Conditioning Woes

Reply #2
Yes, that's the only area where water may form from the a/c - evaporator on the drivers side. It could get on the trans/driveshaft tunnel and dribble down to the drivers side. Unplug and all will be good.

I'm glad and amazed my a/c still works as I thought I was still having leaks last time I worked on it. If you do go into trying to fix it, leaks are generally easy to fix with new green orings and some cheap line disconnect tools (like $3 for the plastic ones) from the auto parts store. I assume you just filled it up with r134.
1988 Thunderbird Sport